Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Nanare Hananare is a great anime:

'100 Waifus' required a couple edits due to unforeseeable events in the real world.  The first problem was that Full Metal Panic went and wrote a sequel volume where Kaname had two children with Sosuke -- named Nami and Yasuto.  I had promised in '100 Waifus' that every parent with a child would get a similarly named child in their new life, so suddenly I needed to represent Nami and Yasuto in '100 Waifus.'

Fortunately Kaname already had a child named Nami in '100 Waifus,' so that was covered, but I had to replace Battler with Yasuto to completely fulfil the promise.  Since I still wanted to keep Battler around because he's a good kid, I decided to move him over to be Sara's child, in lieu of Ryoma, which suffered from being a repeat name.

Ryoma is the protagonist of Kamitachi, but now that I'm reading Kamitachi and see how aimless Ryoma's life is I've become disenchanted with him and the whole franchise.  At the same time I've realized what a minor character Eliaria is in the series, completely abolished for all intents and purposes in the later volumes.  At this point she doesn't have a larger role than Gemma had in Dragon Quest XI, and I had already cut Gemma, so what business did Elia have being mentioned now?

I realized this was a good opportunity to cut Kamitachi from my halls of fame and '100 Waifus' completely.  It doesn't make sense for Kamitachi to be a great anime and a lousy book series, the anime is based off of the books.  To line things up I needed to cut Kamitachi from my anime hall of fame and make a clean break of it.  And with one less anime in my hall of fame, I needed a promising newcomer to replace it -- and who is the most promising newcomer of this summer season?  Nanare Hananare.  So like it or not it has to be a great anime, otherwise I'd be in a pinch.  With only one episode as evidence it's hard to say the series is actually great, but I have faith in P.A. Works which has churned out hit after hit nonstop.  All their original works are great -- Kuromukuro, Tari Tari, Hanasaku Iroha, Shirobako, Shiroi Suna no Aquatope -- so why wouldn't this one be?  By the time the 12th episode airs I'll be proven right.

Taking Elia's place is Kanata, the protagonist of Nanare, sadly a repeat name but oh well, the total number of repeat names still goes down this way.

The second edit necessitated by events is the declaration of a Ranma 1/2 remake.  However small the chance, there is now a chance that the Saffron arc will be animated.  '100 Waifus' had a sentence bragging about how it had adapted the Saffron arc into an anime, unlike the failed idiots of Earth, but that may no longer be the case.  It's better to be safe than sorry, so I changed that sentence to "If they wanted to watch the True Dragon arc of Juuou Mujin no Fafnir, they could."

There's no way Earth will ever adapt Unlimited Fafnir in full, so this time I'm safe for sure.  The book is future proofed.

These edits are minor and they aren't due to a mistake on my part but forced upon me from outside, so this doesn't require I reread the book for a 45th time.  So long as my 44th readthrough (which I'm currently working on) doesn't find any errors on my side I'll still officially be done.

No comments: