Blog Archive

Saturday, June 29, 2024

Edens Zero manga ends:

Now we just await the anime.  I took Ranma 1/2 out of my anime wishlist now that it's gotten some sort of anime announcement, and replaced it with a wish for a new season of Edens Zero.  Edens Zero is currently doing the same game as Summer Pockets was -- kinda sorta announcing an anime but not really -- which could go on for years.  What I wish for is a rock solid announcement with a release date.  I don't want to suffer through Summer Pockets' treatment ever again.

The ending to the manga was satisfying -- I got basically everything I wanted.  Ultimately Edens Zero was a simple story where everything went well so it was always low stakes.  There's about 150 chapters of the manga not covered by the anime right now, which value-added make it my 5th favorite manga.  150 chapters of unanimated Hiro Mashima material is always going to rate highly.  Most manga aren't that long, and most mangaka aren't as good as Hiro, so Edens Zero is currently a big deal.  Once the anime comes out though the manga will slowly fade to insignificance.  As a result all the manga in my hall of fame tends to be rejects that weren't good enough to get animated, a rather strange honor roll.

To put it a little more nicely, the manga hall of fame consists of only overlooked masterpieces.  Eventually Edens Zero won't be overlooked so it won't belong here forever.  But for now it's #5 and a very big deal.

Girls Band Cry also had a satisfying ending, staying true to theme.  Nina would rather go down in flames than admit she was wrong about something she knows she's right about.  A martyr for truth and justice.  She's the heroine we most need in this age.

Meanwhile, I finished book 15 of Konosuba.  Just two more to go.  This book had Kazuma annoy a mind controller into submission, which is certainly a novel concept.  The author really is good at humor.  I just wish more meaningful things would happen per book.  I'm practically done with the series and nothing has happened.  If there is another season of Konosuba anime (which I very much doubt), I hope it skips to the end, at least then it could animate something meaningful.  I keep contrasting the density of content in a Konosuba novel to '100 Waifus.'  In '100 Waifus' there's a romantic confession or sex scene practically every page.  In Konosuba you're lucky to get some tepid romance or intimacy once per book.  Why is Konosuba preferred over '100 Waifus'?  It's like preferring watered down beer. . .

The summer anime season is slowly gearing up.  'My Wife Lacks Emotions' isn't worth watching, though.  She doesn't just lack emotions, she also lacks intelligence and free will.  I don't understand how you can romance an object.  Most robo-wife romances at least let the robot be sentient.  Meanwhile Maou-gun is nonsensical and dull to the point of sleep-inducing.  Also, Karasu wa Aruji is dropped.  The finale of the first arc was sufficient.  I don't like the mystery genre, but I was bamboozled into it, thinking the story was a romance.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

No comments: