Blog Archive

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Choyoyu Begins:

I've already been following the manga of this story which deeply resonated with me, but the art style of the anime adaption is even better.  I was thrilled to see the world come to life in color and sound.  As a first episode I was completely blown away.  Not only does this pass, it immediately enters my top anime rankings.  The one fear that it wouldn't be a faithful adaption has already been put to rest.

There are few isekai stories done as right as Choujin Koukousei-tachi.  I hope the limited length of the anime is enough to reach the cooler story segments later in.  There's so many amazing scenes coming up I already know about from the manga.  Heck, they should just announce a sequel already and keep going!

Choyoyu replaces Negima/UQ Holder in my anime hall of fame.  This is because both Negima and UQ Holder were completely butchered and mostly filler from beginning to end.  The animators of this story should all commit seppuku in repentance for their crime against humanity.  How hard is it to just adapt what was shown in the manga?  Frame by frame?  Panel by panel?  If they had done that, Negima would be in the top ten anime of all time -- not kicked out of my rankings like they have been today.  I've been searching for an excuse for a long time to kick Negima's anime out and encourage people to rely entirely on the manga for their story-consuming needs, and Choyoyu is the perfect excuse.  Anything to get Negima out, out, out!  This abhorrent anime adaption should be wiped clean from human memory.

That brings 2019 up to 5 new great anime, and fall has only just begun.  Who else will emerge by the end?

To celebrate Choyoyu's passage into the halls of the great I've also added Tsukasa and Ringo to my fictional characters hall of fame.  They replace Raquel and Ful from Scrapped Princess who are a little too minor characters to really qualify for the limelight.

Yet again this sets back my total anime count.  I wonder if I can reach 9,000 even in 2020. . .

In other good news, Shingeki no Kyojin S3 part 2 is out in blu-ray subtitled.  The filesize is enormous, but I guess that's only fair, given that Wit Studio really went all out in terms of detail and animation for this show.  The filesize is just the price we pay for quality visuals.

No comments: