Blog Archive

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Choice Givers Re-read:

Choice Givers was the last book of mine I hadn't recently re-read and re-proofread.  I found some really oddball and embarrassing mistakes -- calling Saki Aiko or replacing 'door' with 'voice,' two completely different objects -- but that's all fixed now.  The book should read as smooth as butter now.

Like Dead Enders, the novel is absolutely brilliant.  Full of pulse racing battles, laughing out loud jokes, soul searching poetry, personalized ambitions coming to beautiful fruition, and loving bonding.  I'm amazed how much impact it compresses into so few words.  The story just leaps off the page.  The characters all manage to be different from each other but equally likable.  An incredible balancing act.

The book ends on a total cliffhanger but that's okay, Followers and Emulators picks up exactly where Choice Givers leaves off, so readers don't have to miss a single explosive moment.  I encourage everyone to read the entire trilogy.

100 Waifus is my favorite book, but that's only because it's three times as long as any of my other books, and gets to borrow so freely from other people's characters and works.  The Wyrd Saga, composed of Dead Enders, Choice Givers, and Followers and Emulators, is still my best writing as a whole.  Followers and Emulators was so touching it made me cry.  I think the only other book to do that for me was SAO's Mother's Rosario.

Sadly, that's all gone now, as I've now re-read my entire corpus.  I guess next comes 100 Waifus again, as I've made some more edits so it would be nice to actually benefit from them by reading the story in its new finished state.  Not only have Raquel and Ful been replaced by Ringo and Tsukasa, Lyria's appearance description was corrected to include her ahoge, Honzuki ga Gekokujou's title was corrected to the actual Honzuki no Gekokujou, etc.  Little things but they all add up.  The perfect book shouldn't have any stupid errors from start to finish, no matter how long it might be.

No comments: