Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

They Say I was Born a King's Daughter:

This is a nice manwha (South Korean comic book).  The only other good manwha is Freezing, so it's surprising to see one, but here we are.  Of course this is nowhere as good as Freezing but it's still nice, and extremely long, which makes it all the better.

Of course it's ridiculous for women slaves to be whipped as they pick cotton in a society with skyscrapers, cars and jet planes.  Couldn't they just invent a tractor already?  But obviously the author just wants to vilify the sexist society and has no intention to think things through logically.

At least it's an interesting isekai with a different set of problems and solutions than normal.  Our heroine has to please everyone around her rather than battle them into submission, because she's weak and they're strong, so it creates an entirely different plot than usual.

Also her eyes are very pretty and sparkle with the light of galaxies.

I also liked Isekai Nonbiri Nouka, though I don't find his sort of detached, businesslike attitude when dealing with others very engaging.  Still, this is a guy who doesn't fight, founds a village, and was fine with a giant polygamous harem, so I can't be too hard on him without condemning my own isekai novel.

There's also this bizarre isekai manga called Kawaii Yamada, where the premise is everyone in the other world lives to very long ages, so if you're transported there, no matter how old you are, you'll still be treated like a child and be forced to attend school with the other children.  It's funny and certainly fresh as an idea, but I'm not sure if it's actually good or not.  At only six chapters there's no way to judge.

Between all these new manga, I also managed to rewatch Shingeki no Kyojin S2, so I'm ready for S3 to resume next month with all the details fresh in my mind.

5,400 songs for my hall of fame is a real milestone.  Of the songs I haven't (recently) listened to 100 times yet, the 4,575 'non-graduates,' the median number of times I've heard them is 38.  Which means 62 more full listen-throughs will require 651 more days of continuous play.  Of course I'm not always at my computer listening to music so it might be wise to double that number.  That would be 1302 days.  Divide that by 365 and you get 3.57 years.  So even if I listen to this playlist intensively I still won't be done for another four years.  Like my watch and rewatch all the great anime ever made project, this has certainly become a titanic endeavor.

It's my fault for adding so many additional songs over the last couple years.  But I don't mind at all, that's just how good this music is.  I find listening to my favorite music to be the freshest and most exciting aspect of the day.  With 10.5 days of different music in my catalog on shuffle, there's no way to tell just which tune will pop up next, and by the time it does pop up I've long forgotten the last time it's played, so it always comes as a pleasant surprise, like meeting an old friend.

I can't wait for all my music to graduate so I can go back to listening to the soundtrack to Ogre Battle and the other graduates I've been ignoring in favor of cultivating the new recruits.  Once I can play all 5,400 songs on shuffle together my job will be complete.  That playlist is 12.2 days in length, and will be composed fully of songs that survived the 100 listening gauntlet, so the odds that any of them will be remixes or suck are exiguous.  The day I can inherit that musical palace will be the beginning of a new era of musical excellence that blows all my past experiences away.

Rather than 2nd rate video games, visual novels or manga, I'd rather be listening to 1st rate music.  But the best part is I can play 2nd rate visual novels and read 2nd rate manga while listening to 1st rate music, kill two birds with one stone, and upgrade my experience to something worthwhile by leaning on my music to pull things through.  Both Soul Calibur VI and Valkyria Chronicles IV have music I acknowledged as worthy of entry into my hall of fame, so it's not too bad listening to them instead of my itunes playlist, but it's still a step down since not all their music is worthy.  Oh well, I can make minor sacrifices in music for the sake of graphics, story and gameplay.

In four years, I bet I'll be able to finish not just my listening project, but also my anime rewatching project.  Since great anime is releasing at a slower pace these days, I'll eventually be able to catch up with everything.  Even as things stand, I've rewatched everything that's gotten a blu-ray release.  At this point to make any more progress I'll have to surrender and just rewatch the versions that aired on tv.  Maybe it's worth it just to more quickly realize my dream. . .

No comments: