Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Death March Rewatched:

It's been over a year since Death March aired and there's still no blu-ray release for it, so I gave up and just rewatched the available tv version.  It was a good show so it was easy to marathon through.

I do have a complaint, though.  Satou's essentially boring.  He's super overpowered, so he never faces any real challenges.  Death March usually solves this issue by concentrating on his followers' fights instead of his own, which are fairer and more exciting, but this portion of the story is so early that his followers haven't learned how to fight yet.  Satou handles everything once they get out of the labyrinth.  (Those labyrinth eps were the best in the anime precisely because he let Pochi, Tama and Liza handle things.)

As the beginning of the story, where Satou is just recruiting his followers and learning the ropes, it's not a problem for the novels.  But given that the anime just suddenly stops there, it means that nothing interesting has in fact been animated from start to finish.  That's quite a blow to work around.  The anime tries its best with great music and voice acting, but the cg and animation isn't very good either.  Death March should be one of the best shows out there, but with all these handicaps its ranking is really dragged down.  My current ranking is too high, too influenced by the quality of the novels that come hereafter.  The anime doesn't cover any of those good parts so it doesn't deserve to be in the same exalted company as No Game No Life.

Well, I'll fix the rankings someday, once someone new enters and there's a point to fixing them.

This was actually the last series I needed to rewatch, in a sense.  The remaining stuff that's set for rewatching are all sequel or spinoff seasons, in other words, I've already watched and rewatched the core of these shows which got them ranked in the first place.  Which means there's no particular need to rewatch anything more concerning them to prove that the series are great, their earlier seasons already did that.

Death March was the only '1st season' of a ranked series I hadn't rewatched yet, and now that's done.  However, for anyone new to enter my rankings, they would by definition be a '1st season' of whatever new franchise they are, so I have yet to rewatch whatever that new series might be.  As of yet I haven't come across anything promising enough to be worthy of rewatching and ranking, so there's no possibility of a new series entering my rankings.  Once I do find a candidate, all I'll need to do is rewatch it and then I can finally open up my top anime rankings for new entries.

That still looks like something far away though, just like my rewatching of everything great that's aired project and my 100 listenings to every song in my music hall of fame project.

I did find a new remix, though, putting my music back down to 5,399 entries.  'Adorned With Evil,' is just an inferior version of 'Wings of Sorrow.'  They were both titled 'Pyrrha's Theme' so maybe I should have figured this out sooner, but oh well.  At least the problem is solved now.

Once the Star Twinkle Precure opening and ending songs appear in their full versions, I'll break back through the 5,400 barrier, so no harm done.

No comments: