Blog Archive

Monday, December 4, 2017

Youjo Senki Rewatched:

In my 2017 in Review post, I stated I had already rewatched Brave Witches and Youjo Senki.  But since it was covering the full year and I knew I would finish both of these series within the month, I figured it was overall more correct to include them in the series I'd rewatched than not.  Now that minor discrepancy is fully washed away, as I've finished Youjo Senki as well as Brave Witches.

It's been 11 months since Youjo Senki originally aired.  It was out in blu-ray and I was in a flying magical girls fight world war 2 mood (shuumatsu and brave witches), so this was the natural series to rewatch next.

There are many over the top melodramatic scenes in Youjo Senki that I could really do without.  I prefer the more straightforward aerial combat scenes and strategy conferences.  There's also a risk of the story becoming too repetitive and ordinary, though that thankfully did not occur in just the mere 12 eps we've been given so far.  But what more can happen in the remaining books that's different from what's occurred so far?  I fear a sequel would have far less to offer, though I still want a sequel because the story is nowhere near concluded.

But just the cool military speeches, the beautiful lavish detail in every scene, and the dynamic mage combats would be enough on their own to make this series great.  Telling a story from the German point of view is also refreshing and greatly welcome for anyone on the alt-right.

Next up is Planetarian and Rewrite.  Together with the Little Busters! visual novel, it'll be Key works all day every day.

No comments: