Blog Archive

Saturday, November 4, 2023

Shingeki ends, DanMachi continues:

The good news is today we finally get to see the animated ending to Shingeki no Kyojin, requiring a decade of patience.  The other good news from today is that DanMachi S5, a better series than Shingeki, has been greenlit.

In other good news, there's only one more chapter of Card Captor Sakura and then it too will end, after some 30 years.  Shingeki is a much better story than Card Captor, but there's little on this Earth that can match Card Captor's art.

Also, I flipped 'Voyage - Home World' back to 5-star, demoting 'Eruyt Village' to make room.  Electric guitar or no, Chrono Cross has amazing music which is hard to resist.  I also corrected Satano's name to 'Satano Diamond Izumi' in '100 Waifus' so that people wouldn't mistakenly think I'm referring to Satano Crown or some other horse-girl.

I tried out Onimusha but it wasn't an anime, it was a full cg, fully realistic looking action show consisting solely of men and killing, which is extremely boring.  It's all so ridiculous when any normal person could just walk in with a machine gun and be more impressive than everything all these samurai and demons can do.

Uma Musume's latest episode was wild.  First Satono Diamond lost her race even though she had stated so confidently she would win.  (It wasn't her fault, she would have won if her horseshoe hadn't broken during the race).  Then Kitasan and Duramente both lost to some random horse called River Light in their race.  So all the heroes lost to dark horses with no foreshadowing.  I don't think any other anime would dare put in twists like that, but Uma Musume can, because horse racing is a lot more random than other sports, and the anime reflects that.  I love it.

I finished my rewatch of MIX S2 so now it's on to rewatching the latest season of Bleach.  Once I've watched Bleach I'll have rewatched all great anime that isn't currently airing, almost as impressive as last year.

I watched 'Across the Spiderverse,' but it wasn't as good as the first movie.  For one I think the art style was a little too chaotic and artsy.  I would have liked the backgrounds to at least pretend to exist.  The next issue is I actually agree with vampire Spiderman, people's lives shouldn't be saved at the risk of the spiderverse.  No one person's life is worth trillions or infinity other people's lives.  So I was rooting for the villains to kill the heroes, which kind of spoils the fun.  I thought Spot was a fun villain and Gwen Stacy's costume was beautiful, but that doesn't make a movie 'great.'

World of Warcraft is promising three new expansions all at once.  I'm sure it would be fun to play WoW again, but it will still be a year before the new content begins, and it's hard to say more WoW would be as fun as FF 14, which has now been customized into a 1-player playable game.  Between the two I'm more interested in FF 14.

Some recent western news articles have admitted Ukraine is on the ropes and it's time to negotiate a surrender, but I won't hold my breath.  Ukrainian morale is still high and they could still draft millions more people to fight in this endless war.  USA and Europe are still willing to donate billions more in random crap to keep the war going.  And Russia has been losing ground, not gaining it, for over a year now.  This doesn't feel like Russia's imminent victory.  One thing I'm hopeful about, though, is that Russia will take Avdeevka, which should reduce the possibilities for Ukraine's artillery bombardment of innocent civilians in Donetsk.  One of the major war aims was to stop this shelling, and now it might actually happen, years later.  Of course, if Ukraine wishes it can just aim long range ATACMS cluster-round missiles at Donetsk and keep the slaughter going, thanks to the USA (we should be so proud), but you would think that at some point Ukraine will admit their targeting of civilians is unproductive and start using those precious high-tech munitions on military targets.  There has to be some limit to their bloodthirst.

No comments: