Blog Archive

Thursday, October 19, 2023

Choyoyu volume 9 read:

I bought this for my Kindle at Amazon for $9 and read it all in one gulp.  It's much shorter and lighter reading than '100 Waifus,' and I don't have to stop and edit Choyoyu, so it went by in a flash.  It's a good book -- I wish it were still a manga but the book version also works.  What's important is I get to see the ending of the story if I keep reading the books, something the manga will never deliver.  In fact, it was a good enough book that I added it to my good books hall of fame, beating out Hyoka which was there before.

Most of the book was cannons and cavalry causing mayhem, which really doesn't interest me much.  But there were some nice scenes mixed in with that.  A giant debate about the risks versus benefits of a Universal Basic Income (something I've been pushing for all this time, so I'm happy to see this author join with me in its advocacy.  The character in my fictional character hall of fame, Tsukasa, sided with the UBI, while the one not in my hall of fame, Masato, was against.  So my judgment of Tsukasa's character was also proven correct.), Ringo having a near-miss love scene with Tsukasa (I'm rooting for her.), and everything transpiring as I predicted with Masato not really switching sides and Shinobu not really being harmed by Masato.

The stage is set for the next volume which really is the last volume of Choyoyu.  So long as it gets an English translation, which you can never be sure of these days.  There are so many works out there with everything translated except the final volume.

The Rurouni Kenshin Remake episodes 15-16, and presumably 17, better match the manga than the original, so like episode 3 they're now a necessary portion of the series.  Strangely the new version isn't accurate to the manga either, but half a loaf is better than none.

I rewatched Konosuba Bakuen and it was still good the second time, a mandatory step for it to earn its place in my top anime pantheon now cleared.

The next big thing is Shingeki no Kyojin's ending this November.  With nothing much happening until then this blog might go quiet for a while.

No comments: