Blog Archive

Friday, August 18, 2023

Like the Calm Sea:

I finished Cyanotype Daydream Case - 0.  All that's left is some random omakes which I doubt will make much difference in the game's overall quality.  As a reward I was treated to the beautiful 'true ending' song, 'Like the Calm Sea,' which was a worthy finale to a tremendous route.  I instantly rated it 5-star, demoting 'Frozen Heel' from Tales of Graces to make room.  Another vocal piece replacing an instrumental, and another visual novel piece replacing a video game.  Nothing new there.

This had a cascade effect all the way down to the 1-star tier which got to eliminate 'Distortion' entirely to make room.  Now there are only 7 bad songs left in my hall of fame.  All details can be found in my music permapost.

I also instantly updated '100 Waifus' to include Yonagi (the main and only heroine of the entire visual novel) in my fictional character hall of fame, which also allows me to praise Cyanotype Daydream as a franchise as a whole.  With her striking red/pink eyes and white hair, lovely ribboned twintails, and perfectly balanced figure, she's a proper visual novel romantic target no one could forget, despite herself having early-onset dementia and forgetting everything.

In the short time she had to truly live, she saved the crushed spirit of the protagonist, Kaito, saved his ailing Mother from worries about orphaning her kid by promising to look after him from here on, wrote three beautiful novels (I got to read all three, they're cases 1, 2 and 3), and then went on to save the entire world with her new dreamscape techno-magic.  Despite suffering the most herself, she was always eager to help others, praise others, cheer up others, console others, be there for others.  She was also a talented artist who saved her pet robo-sheep from a dire character design.  She also loved Kaito her entire life long with all her heart and soul, from childhood on.  She's a beautiful person.

She replaces Hana Nono from Pretty Cure.  She's from a season of Precure I didn't like, Huggto, so she really didn't belong in a fictional character hall of fame, which is supposed to encourage people to check out the fiction these characters came from.  Plus her name overlapped with someone else's, whereas Yonagi was a unique name.

I also added Cyanotype Daydream to my visual novel hall of fame, kicking out Aiyoku no Eustia to make room for the basic reason that it still hasn't been translated into English, so this was kind of a no brainer.

I've managed to honor Cyanotype Daydream from every angle -- as music, in literature, and as a game.  It's just that honorable.  I'm glad I heard about it from others, and now I hope others hear about it from me.  Case - 0 only comes at the end, so you have to stick with the game to reap its rewards.  This is a very clever sci fi that presents a truly different world, the hallmark of true science fiction.

No comments: