Blog Archive

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Outbreak Company in, Harry Potter out:

Harry Potter's literary value is very low, considering virtually all of it was turned into a blockbuster movie series.  There are some subtle differences between the books and the movies, sure, but nothing to make a big deal about.  Then there's 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,' which hasn't been made into a movie (yet), but it wasn't actually any good so it hardly matters.

The Harry Potter movies had great actors, great special effects, great composers, everything needed to bring the books to life.  So it was easy to drop J.K. Rowling from my list of value added authors (where the books have to contribute something that a better medium hasn't already surpassed) in favor of Ichiro Sakaki.

I'd like to do the same to Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series.  Though admittedly the books tell a more interesting and subtle story than the HBO tv series, the fact that he never finished the work and just leaves us stranded in the middle of nowhere means only the tv series, which is about to get an ending in a couple months, can be considered the 'true, definitive version' of the story.

I'd drop Martin in a heartbeat if only another of my favorite light novel series received a translation that extends beyond the anime like Outbreak Company has.  Bakemonogatari, for instance.  But getting rid of Harry Potter is progress enough for a day, I suppose.

I'm already well in to volume 6 of Outbreak Company.  At this rate I'll run out before even the 19th and the arrival of my new games.  Well, the writing is addictive so it can't be helped.

My own writing is also addictive.  My explanation of the perils of long distance relationships in my newest post, "Sakura Trick Finally Translated," was so illuminating that I added it to my 'see more' links to my 'women' permapost.  Not only is being friends with a girl impossible, having a long distance relationship with a girl is also impossible, and everyone needs to understand that before breaking their heart by trying.  There is only one possible relationship with a woman and that's as your wife and the mother of your children.  Even that is fraught with peril, but at least it has a chance of success, unlike all this other junk.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey um, low chance that you'll reply, but where can I find your literary works. Not reviews nor political thoughts, just creations. Thanks!

Diamed said...

Right here. To the right of my posts is a bar with a list of titled links. Scroll down until you see 'Dead Enders.' Everything from there on is my literary works.