Blog Archive

Sunday, September 29, 2024

In the least surprising development ever, Sousou no Frieren gets a second season:

I was so sure this was going to happen I didn't even bother to put Frieren on my anime wishlist.  It would happen even without me wishing for it.  I'm happy a second season is coming, there's plenty of manga left to adapt, but I'll warn people in advance it won't be as good as the first season.  Frieren is gradually becoming less insightful and more of a standard battle manga.  I doubt my ranking of the anime will improve much from where it already is.

Of course more of anything good is always better, but what made Frieren special is the feelings between the characters, and mostly those feelings have all reached a stalemate.  They're no longer developing, so the story is wandering aimlessly.  One thing I love about '100 Waifus,' there are so many romances to develop, that there's always emotional development in every conversation between Christopher and whoever he's currently with.  It's always changing, and the change is always for the better.  An ever waxing moon.

Sousou no Frieren, like every other story ever, pales before '100 Waifus.'

In other anime developments, I finished my obligatory rewatches of Oomuro-ke, Kimi ni Todoke S3 and Konosuba S3.  This confirms the shows were accurately rated as 'great.'  No one has the patience to rewatch bad shows.

I finished reading Kamitachi volume 10, but it was so boring I think I'm done with the series from here.  All reading this book did is confirm I was right to throw it out of my anime hall of fame and my fictional character hall of fame embedded within '100 Waifus.'  What a waste of potential, considering how good the beginning was.  You could say this was a dramatic case of the same problem Sousou no Frieren has -- after the first season the relationships between characters stopped developing and suddenly it was about nonsense like fighting crime or fishing instead of the romance between Ryoma and Eliaria, the only thing I was there for.

Hopefully I can switch to the new Parchment & Wolf volume soon enough and wash this experience out of my brain.

No comments: