Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

The Greatest Vision reread:

Lucinda's so amazing.  A beautiful girl both inside and out, who values herself but thinks of others, who can find harmony even without unity, and hear the voice of God whispering from the depths of her soul.

Every scene with Lucinda sparkles.  Far more than the other two.  Lucinda in El Dorado sparkles, Lucinda in Palermo sparkles, and Lucinda in Minsk sparkles.  The last page of the book, written exclusively by Lucinda, also sparkles.  What a wonderful ending to a story, I can't imagine one better.  You could say Roland and Isolde were necessary to the story, so I shouldn't just cut every scene they appear in, but it's embarrassing how more fun it is to read the Lucinda segments, such that I'm always disappointed when it switches narrators.  I may as well drop Roland from my wonderful fictional characters permapost, because I came away from this book only admiring Lucinda.

This book is really funny at first, before it goes all dark and heavy.  But its specialty isn't humor, action or philosophy, its specialty is Lucinda.  The easiest way to describe the book is to say it brings out Lucinda's charm.  At least the Lucinda portions are as good as anything else I've written.  It's definitely worth reading for her sake, and since the book argues for libertarianism instead of fascism, maybe it can gain fans that my other works couldn't.  I feel like my skill as a writer is already maxed out, so if I ever argued mainstream positions I'd win fans easily.  Sadly libertarianism isn't mainstream either, so. . . oh well.  I'm already used to exile and obscurity.  But Lucinda shouldn't be used to exile and obscurity, she deserves millions of adorers.  She never did anything wrong.  Heck, she saved the world!  I don't see why people can't at least rally around liking Lucinda, never mind me.

I watched the Gunpowder HBO miniseries.  It was good, a good reminder of how barbaric Europe used to be, and how stupid religions are.  Not as good as my books though.

No comments: