Blog Archive

Monday, June 3, 2024

Music Maintenance:

By assigning specific songs suited to specific fictional characters I managed to find more missing songs, overwritten songs, etc.  Around five songs were fixed, un-overwritten, including songs from Xenogears, Xenosaga and Final Fantasy 3.  One song I couldn't fix and was lost to the void, but at least it wasn't rated that highly to begin with.  To make up for it I added the opening to Galaxy Angel, which is cute and fun.  I also discovered I was missing the Main Theme of Final Fantasy 1 and the op/ed of Heartcatch Precure, which I promptly fixed.  To make room for the new songs I demoted a bunch of old songs.  Luckily I already knew exactly who to demote, so everything is still in order.

Sadly the overwritten songs problem does include the 5-star tier, so I have to carefully listen to every song and make sure it doesn't transform into something else to be sure I actually own all the music I think I own.  The 5-star tier is especially long so this last maintenance run will take a while.  I'm currently at 328/1100.  

I've already found 17 songs to demote out of the 17 I needed, so I went ahead and flipped 17 songs as planned.  But it would always be nice to find more songs I could demote in excess of that so that in the future I could still add new 5-star songs.

I created a '100 Waifus' playlist that includes all the 'care package' assigned songs.  It was supposed to be exactly 1099 songs long, because that's the number of characters who attended the party in Chapter 57.  However, I neglected to transfer 17 songs from my hall of fame to this new playlist as I was assigning songs to characters, showing just how difficult it is to do even the simplest of things.  That's a 1% error rate on remembering to click and drag a song to another playlist after writing it down.  1% of the time I forget such an obvious thing.  This is why I had to edit my book 42 times.  I could exhaustively search through every single song to see if it's correctly added to the new playlist and fix this error rate, but it's too much effort for too little benefit so oh well.  It would be fun to listen to this 'character-centric' playlist after I finish my work on the 5-star tier though.  I drew most of my songs from the 5-star tier for this playlist, so there's a great deal of overlap, but only 73%.  For the sake of matching the song better to the character 1/4 of the time I'd find music from a lower tier.

An interesting pattern forms when I give myself more leeway like this, which is Yasunori Mitsuda overtakes Nobuo Uematsu in songs I 'absolutely must include'.  Not by much, 96 to 92, but it shows that if there were a '6-star tier' Mitsuda would actually win as the best composer of all time.  My other highly ranked composers, Jun Maeda, Yoko Shimomura, Motoi Sakuraba, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Yasunori Nishiki and Masaharu Iwata are all close to each other in this version of the playlist as well.  But Jun Maeda does move up to 3rd place as compared to 8th place in the current system.  Mitsuo Hagita would also jump up the rankings a lot, I included virtually every song I could of his.

I also included virtually every Xenoblade song I could.  It shows what a fantastic trilogy it was.  Of course Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Lunar 1 & 2, Ogre Battle and FF Tactics were also almost entirely included.  When push comes to shove these are the soundtracks I truly care about.

Final Fantasy 7 has the best FF ost, aside from Tactics which isn't a mainline game, but I guess everyone already knew that.  It's fun to see different methods all arrive at the same answer though, it proves the authenticity.

Once I finish listening all the way through the 5-star tier, I'll have a finished, accurate Music Hall of Fame of 5500 songs composed of five tiers of 1100 each.  There are still 4 bad 1-star songs I need to replace with new music, but other than that the Music Hall of Fame will be perfect.  You'd think it'd be easy to find a measly 4 new good songs, but I've already searched for good music so exhaustively that there really isn't any left on Earth.  I just have to hope the coming summer anime season will have some hits.  The spring anime season didn't have a single good song, but Fairy Tail and Bakemonogatari almost always have great music so this summer should do the trick.

P.S. Okay now I've lowered the number of transcription errors from 17 down to 2.  Unfortunately these last 2 are completely undiscoverable and so I still have to give up on a perfectly accurate list.  At least this lowers the error rate down to .2%

No comments: