Blog Archive

Thursday, May 16, 2024

Perfume, not parfum:

So I gave in and made an edit to '100 Waifus.'  Last edition I noticed that I had referred to Cure Flora's transformation item as both a 'perfume' and a 'parfum' in different parts of the book.  So I homogenized it by turning every time to 'parfum.'  Well now that I'm rewatching Princess Precure it's clear that the transformation item is in fact called a 'perfume,' so now I've homogenized it as the reverse, always calling the item a 'perfume.'  That's the big edit of edition 42.

Alongside changing the spelling of Burj Kalifa to Burj Khalifa, that makes two spelling corrections for edition 42 as compared to edition 41.  These fixes are so minor, though, that I don't think they count towards a real 'edit' that would require me to reread the book a 43rd time.  That's too much.  Unless I find something of substance that needs changing, like a better way to phrase a whole sentence, I'm still safely on my way to being permanently done.

I could always improve the book by improving my fictional character hall of fame, which really would break the bank, but it feels like I'd only be doing that to force myself to reread it a 43rd time, and not because the book really needs improving.  >.<.  Still, I've introduced a vast number of new fictional character hall of famers in my new permapost, so would it really be such a bad idea to lean upon that work and improve the book with it?  Since I had to edit the book anyway, what is there left to lose?

Most of the new additions in my 'wonderful fictional characters' permapost aren't suitable to '100 Waifus,' either because they're villains, they're names Christopher would have no means to know about, they're names like 'Priestess' that aren't names at all, or their names overlap with other characters already in '100 Waifus' who can't be removed.  But there are some unique names who aren't villains I could add -- Stark from Sousou no Frieren, Nina from Girls Band Cry, Mayu from Wonderful Precure, Marco from One Piece, Mist and Micaiah from Fire Emblem, and Alain, Rosalinde, Etolinde, Melisandre and Scarlett from Unicorn Overlord.

To make room I could remove Hikari and Misaki from Joukamachi no Dandelion, Schala from Chrono Trigger, Yuuki from Saki, Rio from [Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare], Izumi from Hayate no Gotoku, Izuna from No Game No Life, Miku from Idolm@ster, Haruki from [Sakura, Saku], Ren from Strobe Edge, and Meiling from Card Captor Sakura (she isn't in the manga so perhaps doesn't deserve mention. . .)

This would increase the unique name count in the book and improve the overall quality of the characters and franchises mentioned.  It would be a win-win.  It's a lot of work but this is why I do these re-reads, it's because it's worth the work to make this book as good as possible.  If the re-read inspires me to find ways to improve the book beyond what I thought was possible then it's doing its job.

Meanwhile, a new season of Shogun was green-lit.  This makes its tv hall of fame status even more justified, so I'm pleased as punch.  Sometimes I feel like destiny bends towards my will.  I rate Shogun and then it gets another season.  Clearly this was all because of me.  Western tv has a lot to be proud about recently -- Shogun, The Last of Us, House of the Dragon, X-men '97 -- these are genuinely watchable series, and they're all getting new content in the future.  The west is actually making me look forward to something.

P.S.:  Okay, if I'm going to edit the book anyway, I may as well add a clarifying sentence in Chapter 7 that removes a pseudo-plothole: "(To be precise, Sagiri’s hontai was holed up in her room, but she still participated in group events via a Zoom-call-like device perched on Elf’s shoulder.)"

I also thought about fixing Riko's name to Liko, but Riko seems to be just as good a translation of her name as Liko, and just as accepted a name in the community, so I really don't see the point of changing it.

I also thought to include Uriko in the book again, as I have in the past, but I'd have to take Mitsuki or Gemma out to make room and it's hard to argue that would really be an upgrade.  Uriko has very little characterization, as a fighting game character, arguably no more characterization than Gemma has, a side character in Dragon Quest XI.  Uriko's name is unique, unlike Mitsuki's, but Mitsuki is the protagonist of Full Moon O Sagashite with a rich and admirable life story.  So really it comes down to Uriko vs. Gemma.  Or for that matter I could just keep Izuna, another cat-girl.  But with the addition of Uriko I could mention Bloody Roar, while Izuna isn't necessary to represent No Game No Life, so Uriko at least beats Izuna. . . The question is does she beat Gemma. . .  I think so for the same reason -- Gemma isn't necessary to represent Dragon Quest but Uriko is necessary to represent Bloody Roar.  Very well, so let's make it 12 character swaps.  So much work to do tomorrow. . .

No comments: