Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Almighty Unicorn:

I beat the game on True Zenoiran (the highest) difficulty in about 101 hours, including the epilogue stage.  I also received the full clear, platinum trophy for the game.  But the two were unrelated.  I could have gotten the trophy at any point if I had just looked up a guide and discovered that the final hidden trophy involved not feeding an angry goat a biscuit.  But oh well, I wanted to beat the game at its highest difficulty to prove I could do it, and because the game was so fun I wanted to keep playing, so it was well worth the extra 101 hours.

This time I didn't pull any cheap tricks to defeat Galerius.  My regular formation army was capable of beating him -- basically Sharon's unit, with Alain giving a little help.  The other units in my army couldn't put a dent on him, but at least they could provide healing, magic and ranged assists, and every little bit helped against this monster.  Sharon's unit included the colosseum champion, a fighter, a priest, Virginia and a sellsword (who did most of the damage for me).  Sellswords really hit hard.  I didn't use them on my first playthrough but they kicked ass this time around.

I lost three units on that last battle, but luckily I had exactly 15 luminous urns left so I ended the game with no urns and all my units alive and well.  Talk about perfect resource management.  It was a messy final battle, but I'm so happy I didn't have to rearrange my squads to win that in my books it was perfect.

My second playthrough was totally different from my first, relying on different characters, different strategies and different equipment.  Sadly there's no way to play a completely different way a third time, the game doesn't have enough content to pull a trick like that.  But 220 hours of fun is good enough for any game.  It really pulled its weight.

Now I'm downloading the good songs from the soundtrack so that I can have a little memento of the game moving forward in my life.  I never want it to be totally estranged from my mind, and these songs playing occasionally in my music hall of fame will mean I can always think fondly back upon this month.

In just one week Eiyuden Chronicle comes out, so the video game fun isn't going to stop.  For now I can catch up on my spring anime and play more Irotoridori no Sekai.

Speaking of anime, the small ova of Girls und Panzer, 'commander war,' came out.  It was nice.  Also the Oomuro-ke ova came out and it too was nice, as good as the average Yuru Yuri ep.  The latest season of Bleach came out in bluray, as did the latest season of Eminence in Shadow.  I downloaded them for archival purposes even though I've already watched and rewatched the shows.  Technically Sousou no Frieren's first season came out in bluray but the filesize was so huge it was untenable.  Hopefully a more reasonable group will release a more reasonable version.

No comments: