Blog Archive

Friday, March 15, 2024

4 new fictional character entries:

Because nobody wants to have villainous children, it's difficult to name children after mass murderers, flaming skeletons or world destroyers, despite the fact that they were super cool memorable characters.  That was a limitation in '100 Waifus,' but it isn't one for a pure merit based fictional character hall of fame.  As such, I've added Makoto (Shishio), Sephiroth, Sub-Zero and Scorpion into my wonderful fictional characters permapost.

To make room I took out four characters who were basically serving as affirmative action placeholders for the sake of their parent franchise getting recognized.  This is an important job in '100 Waifus,' but not necessary for a fictional character hall of fame which is solely focused on fictional characters, not franchises.  Botan from Kitakubu, Rio from Omoi, Omoware, Ren from Strobe Edge and Haruki from Sakura, Saku.

Three of the four losers are forgettable male leads from Io Sakisaka shoujo manga.  They can't fire beams from their hands or dual wield swords, so what are they worth, really?  All they can do is seduce high school girls.  Sub-Zero can freeze people and Scorpion can shoot wires from his hands.  I know who I respect more.

As for Botan she actually does have superpowers, but they're wasted on her because she exists in a comedy world without any fighting.  So she doesn't get to use them for any praiseworthy purpose.  In the end she just comes off as a macho girl who strangely likes beating up bears.  Honestly Sakura was the best girl in the Kitakubu series, not Botan, but I didn't want any additional Sakura's in '100 Waifus' when there were already six (six is confusing enough), so I chose Botan solely for her unique name.  Now that I'm not worried about having to make compromises like that, I can ax Botan and put in a dark god like Sephiroth or a survival of the fittest advocate like Shishio.  People who made a huge impact on fictional character history and still reverberate down to this day.

I've reached Chapter 28 of my '100 Waifus' reread and as expected I haven't found any more need for edits.  But we'll see, there's still a lot of book to go.

No comments: