Blog Archive

Thursday, February 22, 2024

The 40th time's the charm:

I'm so confident in this 40th edition, that it won't need any further edits and the book is actually satisfactorily finished, complete, fulfilled, that I went ahead and ordered a physical copy of the book to be printed and delivered to my home.  The 41st readthrough won't be 'read and edited,' just 'read.'  And I'll get to read it as a normal sized paperback I can put on my bookshelf, not a pdf file on my Kindle.

I looked over every waifu and thought about whether they had been showcased enough, if there was any new interesting conversation I could include them into, and decided there wasn't.  Many waifus are given sparse coverage, but in many cases that's the most they could hope for, because the plot must, after all, move forward, and if they aren't vital to the plot then there's no point boring the reader by including them needlessly into it.  Sometimes brevity is the soul of wit, and those sparse inclusions are quite attractive in their own right, they don't really need anything more.

With the inclusion of Sokushi Cheat I feel like my fictional character hall of fame is rock solid.  It's imaginable that some new great work of art will come out, but that won't change the deserving status of the children and series who are already included.  Since there's no more room in the plot for more children or series to be named, at this point I'd be doing a disservice to somebody either way -- by taking out a deserving old name I could help out a deserving new name, but I couldn't actually increase the number of deserving names either way.  Which means there's no point editing this aspect of the book any further either.

I didn't find any proofreading errors on my 40th readthrough, only ways to make a sentence sound better, which means this aspect of the book is also finished.  'Even' and 'just' no longer appear in such numbers as to be a burden.

Reflecting on my latest readthrough, I feel like Chapter 15 really stood out.  Of course the Urara stuff is welcome, but the main draw is the two conversations with Haruka and Kokona.  There's so much wisdom to be found in those two moments the rest of the book is virtually surplus.  But if I hadn't made all the points I wanted to make by Chapter 15, I definitely did by Chapter 59.  I hammered on the vital necessity of a new philosophy and politics over and over again, such that there's nothing left to say on the matter by the end.

There's just no aspect of the story that needs editing anymore.  It's the all-book.  It cannot be added upon or improved.  If it could be, I would've noticed by now, sometime during the previous 40 times I added upon and improved it.

It's ludicrous to think a book that's good enough to read 40 times could be improved upon.  Only a perfect story could stay entertaining that resiliently.  My magnum opus has now officially reached that status.  It's okay for people to start reading the book now, they don't have to wait for any more edits -- there aren't going to be any more.

Meanwhile, I also elevated my latest lambaste of South Korea to permapost status.  I think it had new important facts and insights regarding said facts I'd never addressed before, and fit in perfectly with the rest of the 'marriage' permapost, which is getting quite long now.  So that's two triumphs of writing back-to-back.

Russia has taken some more small villages so that's three triumphs in a row.

No comments: