Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Shogun:

Ultimately Seinfeld was just a placeholder as my 10th favorite tv show.  Now I have a respectable alternative, Shogun, which began airing yesterday.  I watched the first episode and it looked like a faithful, quality adaption of the book, which is all I need to know.  The book was amazing, so a faithful adaption will also be amazing, worthy of my tv hall of fame.  And unlike The Legend of El Cid Shogun won't be cancelled midway.

Meanwhile, I've been playing Irotoridori no Sekai.  The common route was fun but full of so many unsolved mysteries I still can't say much about it.  I won't understand any of the content in the route until those mysteries are solved.  Now I'm on the Mio route and so far it's been hilarious.  The self referential humor as Mio plays a visual novel killed me.  Their mutual confession with a closed door between them was super cute and charming.  The game was well worth the $30 I stupidly spent on it.

My favorite character is Shinku but it looks like she doesn't have a route, or her route won't unlock until I've cleared all the others.  I just have to keep on plugging and hope for the best.  Once I've finished the game in full I'll decide what spot it deserves in my Visual Novel hall of fame.  Ordinarily I'd edit '100 Waifus' to include Shinku right about now but I promised to stop micromanaging things like that so I'll just leave the current names be.  The better solution would be to create a new fictional character hall of fame that's slightly separate from the book, which could include people like Shinku while not including people like Ceodore, and keep that updated on this blog.  The new fictional character hall of fame wouldn't have a hard and fast limit on the number of characters it could contain like '100 Waifus' has (1111).  I could include anyone worthy of note no matter how large the list grows.

In a few days I'll watch the 2nd half of the Dune movie and get to start playing the 2nd installment of FF7 Remake.  It's kind of funny how all these ancient projects are only now reaching fruition, all at the same time.  I could have used this stuff earlier, but now I'm overwhelmed with too many things to do.

I'd like to update my music hall of fame, but until I get a convenient source for the Granblue Relink ost that seems overly difficult.  I'm surprised a torrent for it still hasn't come out for it when it's already been a month.  All things in good time I guess.

I finished my re-read of 'A Requiem for Homo Sapiens.'  The last book was 'War in Heaven,' which is about as large as my '100 Waifus.'  Except actually longer because it doesn't have long repetitive lists of names like my book has.  I was reading this book until I got sick of it and wanted a break, read '100 Waifus' for the 40th time, noted to myself how much better '100 Waifus' for the 40th time was than 'War in Heaven' for only the second time, and then finally got back to War in Heaven and finished it.

War in Heaven is a great book in my hall of fame, and yet still it was much harder reading it for the 2nd time than '100 Waifus' for the 40th.  That means '100 Waifus' is more than 20 times as good as other great literature.  It's not even close.  The gap is ludicrous in size.  The basic plot of War in Heaven is that Hanuman wishes to gather together all the matter in the universe to build a computer, which would then simulate a better place for lifeforms to live than in the real world, for instance without pain, death, hunger, conflict, etc., whereas Danlo prefers reality and wants to stop Hanuman.  I feel like a good compromise would be making the real world good enough that it approaches heaven.  Actually UQ Holder has a good segment about this, talking about how technological advancements can gradually improve life for mankind, in a more organic and satisfying manner than everyone being made to live in a dream world that fulfils all their wildest desires.  But I really like Chapter 52 in '100 Waifus,' which addresses the exact complaints that Hanuman gives about why we should tolerate all these hateful (shaida) things in life.  I give a reason for every 'bad' thing that exists and show that it's ultimately a good thing that should be accepted as part of the larger good picture.  Whereas Danlo doesn't really give a convincing argument for why Hanuman is wrong, Cute-sama does.  One more reason my book is better than the competition.

'100 Waifus' draws a lot of inspiration from 'A Requiem for Homo Sapiens' and directly references it multiple times.  It's not a bad series by any means, it's just that '100 Waifus' draws upon everything good about it and combines that with everything good about everything else in mankind's history, making it titanically more powerful and effective at delivering the exact same points as Requiem was trying to make.  I can say the same about any other work of art -- '100 Waifus' includes every masterpiece by every other creator in history, so it's always better than all of them.  X + 1 will always be bigger than X, so '100 Waifus' inevitably beats any story it is built upon.  This is the key to its unbelievable stature compared to all other artistic works.

Copyright law kept all the other authors from directly referencing other artistic works, which artificially limited them.  Just like censorship laws kept them from writing what would have been idyllic, beautiful romances between characters like Kirino and Kyosuke.  By ignoring all the laws and concentrating on just writing the best book possible, I'm given tools no one else has.  At that point it's like fighting Zulus armed with spears with nuclear bombs -- I win by default.  Of course my book is the best ever, it's the only book fighting with the full arsenal of human imagination.

No comments: