Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Fire Emblem Engage Fell Xenologue beaten at Maddening difficulty:

All the stages of this xenologue were tough, requiring I retry at least once if not several times, but nothing prepared me for the last stage of this extra content.  It took me a week of endless retries and several near victories ending up as ashen defeats, perhaps 50 hours of pure gameplay, all for one stage.  It was the hardest tactical rpg map I've ever seen, and left me sleepless or dreaming of how to beat it day after defeated day.  The world narrowed completely down to how to tackle this final encounter.  I refused to give up, I used every strategy I could think of, attacked in every direction, and relied on luck when tactics weren't enough.  There's never been a more engrossing fight than that xenologue, for which I'm thankful, but God I never want to do that again.  I request all future Fire Emblem maps to tone down the difficulty a bit, because that was insane.

The reward for beating the xenologue is five new characters joining your party and two new classes becoming available you can switch your characters into.  The problem is it only applies to the save you beat the xenologue on.  But the xenologue is so tough on maddening difficulty, it's impossible to beat the final stage unless you've built up your skills and bonds and supports to full, i.e., after you've already beaten the main game.  What's the use of new low level characters with no skills or bonds or supports at this late date?  And what battle would I deploy these new classes in, since I've already beaten the last boss?

To actually benefit from the reward, you would need to beat the fell xenologue in chapter 6, basically impossible at maddening difficulty.  But luckily you can reduce the difficulty down to easy mode, quickly beat the fake fell xenologue at chapter 6, then use the new classes and characters in the actual maddening real game from there.  It's the only way I'll get to see any of this new content so it's the way it has to be.  I've already proven myself by beating this insane content at the highest difficulty, I don't have to beat it again just to get what I've already rightfully earned.

Meanwhile, I continue to marvel at how good my new Chapter 59 is.  Rousseau wrote an entire book, 'Emile,' about the ideal education one should give a child so that they end up as moral adults.  I read it and liked it, but I prefer my version.  I narrowed it down to a single chapter, a little more abridged, but the same idea.  Give me the child and I'll give you the man.  A patriotic education that teaches people important truths, the facts that undergird philosophical conclusions, mean that every child will eventually arrive at the philosophical conclusions, logically, on their own.  All you need is to teach them history and the rest naturally follows.  A lot of '100 Waifus' is explaining the education system Christopher has designed for his children.  It's so important to him that he's an actual teacher who works in the school every day alongside his role as Mayor.  And he's right to stress education.  No good country can ever be sustained or passed down through the generations if the children are not educated to understand why the nation is the way it is and why it should remain the way it is.  Everything starts there.  An entire chapter devoted to Eden's method of history education is not oversaturating the issue, it's actually still barebones.

But now I'm not the only person who likes Chapter 59, at scribble hub it's received a single lonely 'favorite,' the equivalent of a like or heart or whatever that social media addicts are always chasing after.  So now my assessment has moved from subjective to objective.  There are people who understand what I'm saying and approve of it, somewhere out there.  I'm not the only one who 'gets' these things.  And my effort wasn't in vain.

No comments: