Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

A bad start:

The Eminence in Shadow's first episode was almost entirely filler.  In addition, the opening has nothing to do with the plot of the manga which is what I liked about this franchise.  Maybe the opening is some sort of feint, a silly 'what-if' like that ending of Bleach which had all the shinigami dressed up as normal people on Earth.  But if it actually represents what the series will be about then this series is toast.  Not only will it not be great, not be ranked, it won't be watchable at all.  I'll give it one more episode to prove the series isn't totally filler, and if it still hasn't gotten its act together I'll replace it with Sousou no Frieren.  Another series that hasn't aired yet, but better than an entirely filler piece of crap.  What a disappointment.  How hard is it to just follow the source?

Meanwhile, the first episode of the new season of Yama no Susume was recap.  It turns out the next three episodes of the series will also be recap.  They're trying to compress all three previous seasons into this 4th season, I guess because they don't trust the viewers to have watched the previous content.  The 4th season will get back to following the manga on episode 5, so 1/3 of the season wasted.  I guess 2/3 is better than nothing.

I finished rewatching Shingeki no Kyojin Final Part 2.  I admit the animation is godly and the complex moral dilemmas are fascinating, but I still can't accept Armin and everyone else betraying Eren and Paradis Island for the sake of random strangers who hate them and are trying to kill them.  There's a limit to altruism and stupidity.  Oh well, I only have to follow Armin's bad decisions for a little longer because the series will all be over soon.  I still respect Oreimo even though I can't accept Kirino's decision at the end either.

I also finished rewatching To Love ru (for the third time now), something I've been working on forever.  The art is better in the manga, but it's still high quality in the anime too.  I prefer To Love ru when it doesn't contort reality too far to create ecchi situations.  I think it would be better if ecchi stuff only happened rarely and thus was more precious when it did happen, and the plot mainly focused on Rito getting along with lots of different girls and solving their various problems.  This story has such a strong backbone, it really doesn't need cheap fanservice to justify itself.  It should have more confidence in the charming characters and let them justify themselves.  I liked the more innocent To Love ru more than the Darkness sequel, but I still like both of them lots.

No comments: