Blog Archive

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Nekopara Rewatched:

I finished my rewatch of Nekopara, which only finished airing a few months ago.  Now the only anime in my top anime rankings that hasn't been rewatched is Major 2nd S2, Railgun T, SAO: War of Underworld Conclusion, and Healin' Good Precure -- i.e., all series currently airing and not done yet.

In addition, all of these long running series I've rewatched everything else prior to their current seasons, so they've all passed the test of 'rewatching' long ago.

As much as humanly possible, I've now fulfilled my oath of watching in full and rewatching in full everything in my top anime rankings, to prove they were good enough to at least be 'must-see' once for everyone else.  I don't rank these series lightly, they have to be exceptional, and my devotion to them long term proves their exceptionality.

The problem with this oath is as soon as something new great comes out, the cycle starts all over again, so I'm never truly done.  But my sincerity is evident.

Nekopara has some of the funniest and most tearjerking scenes in the world.  That's a tough hurdle, to hit all corners like that.  Sometimes within the same very episode!  The animation is great, the character designs are gorgeous, the only complaint I can possibly pose is the simplicity of the situation which leads to the shortness of the show.  But sometimes short and sweet is best -- I did the same for Sellsword and I think it's perfect.

Nekopara is my newest addition to my rankings so I'm glad to see it can keep up with all of the old and established brands.  Standards aren't slipping, more like they're tightening, the older shows are being given a bigger pass than the newer ones.

This fall should see some of those older shows kicked out for more young blood, but first the new series have to prove themselves.  I can't wait for October.

My top anime rankings rewatch is one of two long term projects I've been working on.  The other is my 100-listening music hall of fame project.  I can still stay busy proving the music I love is worth loving by listening to them all a record 100 times, in the same way I've proven my love of anime is real by watching everything at least twice.  My music listening project has the same trouble as my anime rewatch project -- I keep adding new songs so the work is never done.  But I'm getting there, slowly but surely.  I'm closer to done than when I started.  The median listens is 67 of my remaining unfinished 3752 songs, so 2/3 of the way there.

No comments: