Blog Archive

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Jest Right + Index GT 2 read:

These are the two longest running book series of value in the world, so it's kind of funny to be reading them simultaneously.

Index GT 2 still has a small epilogue left to translate but for all intents and purposes it's available and I've finished it.  The book spent a lot of time with Misaka and Misaki, which is always a good idea, so overall it was pleasant.  I don't much like how Touma has to fight so many supervillains daily, it's rather absurd.  You'd think he'd lose one of these 'close fights' just by chance.  But in the end this series is all about battles, you can never escape the battles for long.  It's also all about Touma.  You can never escape Touma for long.

Jest Right is a Xanth novel, and every Xanth novel is about saving Xanth while getting characters into romantic couplings.  This one was no different.  It was actually more 'similar' than ever because the villains threatening Xanth were recycled from past volumes -- the Sea Hag and Ragna Roc.  For something so unoriginal it was surprisingly fun and interesting.  I don't know how Piers Anthony manages to get me hooked on such simple fare over and over again.  It certainly isn't the puns.  It has to be the dialogue.  I like how everyone is kind and listens to each other and in this manner they brainstorm clever solutions to all their problems.  A small group of cooperative people is a potent force, even disregarding all the sorcerers and magicians who inevitably end up in said group.

I'll be looking forward to the next Xanth volume, #44, Skeleton Key, which comes out January 2021.

Both books were worthy of the hype and in Xanth's case the $10 I forked over for it.  The only problem is there aren't any more manga volumes, books, video games, visual novels, movies or anything slated for release until August.  I wish these two books could've lasted a little longer.  I guess I should give up already and read Kimetsu no Yaiba's manga, bad art and all.  I at least know the plot's bound to be worthwhile.

No comments: