Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

High School Fleet and Futari Ecchi Rewatched:

Adding six new franchises to my top anime rankings all at once meant I had to rewatch a lot of new series all at once, because you can't be great unless it's fun to both watch and rewatch a show.  After Rokka no Yuusha, I finished off Futari Ecchi and High School Fleet.  Now all that's left is shows that originated in 2017 or even 2018 -- ie, who I don't even need to rewatch until 2019 at the earliest.

These shows were exactly what I expected them to be.  Good enough to make my rankings, but not good enough to rank highly in said rankings.  My initial estimate of their worth was very perspicacious.

Someday anime might be so good that series like Futari Ecchi and High School Fleet no longer matter, but today is not that day.  For now they're just as deserving of honor as anybody else.

In particular, I really like the mine sweeping episode, the rescue mission and when Misaki lets her fears get the better of her, showing that she isn't just reckless and doesn't understand the danger she's in, she understands and nevertheless has the courage to go through with it.  That's a great moment of characterization right there.  High School Fleet has a lot of scenes that can bring you to tears.

I guess now it's back to Kyoukai no Rinne.  The fun is over.

Trump's state of the union address was very good and very uplifting.  I had no idea America was full of so many heroes he highlighted, and you'll note the vast majority were whites.  Isn't it nice having a president who doesn't think all whites are evil and deserving of genocide?  It's been a while since we were treated like human beings.

No comments: