Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Music Hall of Fame updated:

This has been a long time coming.  I've been listening to Granblue Fantasy Relink's soundtrack for weeks now (listening 100 times while reading '100 Waifus,' killing two birds with one stone.)  Combined with the one new song from FF7 Rebirth, Gongaga Region, there were 33 new songs I wanted to add to my music hall of fame.  However, I also wanted to stick with 5500 songs overall, and exactly 1100 songs per each rating tier, 1 through 5.  This was a tall order and and an insane amount of work.

First off, I was extremely tough on the Relink music, rarely giving it more than 1 star, because a 1-star song will only displace one song, but any higher and you end up needing to demote 2, 3, or 4 songs.  Only extraordinarily good songs got good ratings -- Managarmr Sequestration Primal and Pyet A received 4-star ratings.  Gongaga Region received a 5-star rating.  For Lyria's True Happiness, Seedhollow Theme, and Sundappled Grove Battle received 3-star ratings.  Ainsteddo Battle, Clear Horizons, Leautagne Island, and Rolan's Theme received 2-star ratings.  The rest 1-star.

Due to this I only had to find a manageable number of songs to demote from my 4, 3, and 2 star tiers.  After listening to every single song in my entire hall of fame, I did find enough songs to demote to make room.  I also found some songs to promote.  I flipped four 4-star themes to 5-star:  Okaerinasai, The Great Sword's Base, Main Theme of Terra Battle and Snake Remains Chamber.  To make room I demoted Gift, What Lies Within, flowers and Yuusha.  To make room for Gongaga Region I demoted Battle of the Heroes.

I flipped some 3-star songs to 4 -- Ima Kono Toki wo, Priere, Head Like a Hole, Heavy Slash, Fighting Black Cat Girl, Cold Wind Flash and Full Bloom in the Breeze.  I also up-jumped two songs all the way from 1-star to 4-star -- Lost Shine from Uma Musume and Rat a Tat!!! from Idolm@ster.  I forget who I demoted to make room.

I deleted six songs entirely from my 1-star tier, never wanting to hear them again.  But I still needed 27 more songs to disappear to make room for the new Granblue content.  The solution was to stitch together a bunch of short songs into singular medleys.  I created a Mega Man medley and an rpg game medley, which absorbed a bunch of short songs which really didn't deserve a full slot in my hall of fame, and turned them into respectable longer songs like their neighbors.

I can pull this trick off a few more times, because I still have songs as short as 22 seconds long, but only a few more times.  Around 30 seconds in length songs become reasonable and competitive with their longer cousins.  At that point I think I'll give up on maintaining my perfect equilibrium of 5500 songs and 1100 per tier.  It's just too much work balancing everything.  It's crazy how much effort it took to do this, I don't ever want to do this again.  But at least for a few more months I can hold the line.  Who knows, maybe there won't be any more good music ever released for the rest of time and I can rest easy.  I can always hope.

For anyone who wants to dig down into all the gory details, there's always my good music permapost, which has been updated with all the new changes and information.

I'm done editing my music and my book.  Now I can relax and watch March Madness in peace.  No more work!

No comments: