Blog Archive

Friday, September 8, 2023

Dead Rock is a great manga:

The latest series from the genius Hiro Mashima, 'Dead Rock,' has begun with a bang.  The setting is already original, the characters are original, the action is badass, the art is of course magnificent, and I have no complaints.  Yakuto is a protagonist like none we've seen before from Hiro Mashima, killing people left and right without compunction or hesitation.  I love it.

Every great manga deserves representation in my fictional character hall of fame, so I used Yakuto as the franchise's representative in '100 Waifus.'  To make room I took out Bi-Han, also known as Sub-Zero.  Yakuto is a hero and Bi-Han is a villain so this is an obvious choice, no one wants to be named after a villain when they could be a hero.

But it doesn't make sense for Scorpion to be around without Sub-Zero, so I also had to substitute Hanzo out for someone else.  I decided Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter fit the bill.  He's gorgeous, strong, creative and has a strong sense of justice, sheltering the innocent and punishing the guilty.  Really the ideal guy when you stop and think about it.

Kurapika got in, but the Hunter x Hunter manga was substituted out, to make room for Dead Rock.  I don't consider any of the Hunter x Hunter manga after where the anime ended to be worthwhile, given that all it does is stick people on a boat, introduce a thousand new characters we don't care about, and then wander off into hiatus without moving the plot forward one inch.  The series would probably be better if this section of the manga had never been written.  At least it has less value added than the entire new series Dead Rock, which has no anime, offers.

I said long ago that I wanted to take Hunter x Hunter out of my manga hall of fame and now I finally have a worthwhile substitute for it.  I also felt Bi-Han and Hanzo were pretty weak fictional character hall of fame members considering they were mostly villains in the movies, which is where most of the lore I know about them comes from.  So Dead Rock helped clean up a variety of issues in one go.  All hail Dead Rock, may it be serialized for a long time into the future.

No comments: