Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Harvest Time:

The last few months have been about recruiting new songs to my 5-star top tier music hall of fame.  Now it's time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.  The 150 freshest recruits, the ones with the least playthroughs, have now been isolated into their own playlist where I can listen to them alone, until they catch up with the old guard and feel just as 'real' to the 5-star tier as the old entries do.

Who are these 150 new recruits?  Some interesting data can be gleaned from them.  95 are vocal songs, 55 instrumental.  It was a point of emphasis to get more vocal songs into my top tier and this speaks of it.  Most of my hall of fame music is instrumental, even most of my 5-star tier is instrumental, so for a 2:1 ratio of vocal to instrumental to be in this group really shows how serious I was.  Nevertheless if you're a good instrumental piece I don't discriminate, it's still promoted to 5-star, opportunity exists for all, new great instrumental pieces also have their shot.

15 of the newcomers are from visual novels.  13 are western rock, all by girl singers.  55 are from anime.  And the remaining 67 are video game songs.  Anime and visual novel music is basically the same, so that would be a narrow victory of 70 to 67.

Sea of Stars, featuring 10 new compositions by Yasunori Mitsuda, might be enough to fill out my music hall of fame, which currently needs 8 new songs to reach my 5500 worthy song quota.  It releases August 29th, so not long now.

If that doesn't work there's always Granblue Fantasy Relink, with songs composed by Nobuo Uematsu, which is still slated for release later this year.  One way or another I'll reach 5500 worthy songs for my music hall of fame.

In other news, Hataraku Maou-sama S2 is available for the first time in bluray, so now is a good time to archive the master copy of this work.

I finished Case 1 of Cyanotype Daydream, all that's left is Case 3 now.  The teacher-student romance isn't really my cup of tea.  And strangely, Case 3 is also a teacher-student romance, only with the roles reversed, this time the girl is the teacher.  So it looks like only the William Shakespeare route is genuinely worthwhile.  But I like finishing what I start so I'll keep plugging.

As per my rules of rewatching all great anime, I've now rewatched Hibike! Euphonium Ensemble Contest.  I took advantage of the version 2 release with better subtitles.  As expected it was still amazing the second time.

Spain defeated Sweden in the first semifinal, all three goals were scored in the last minutes of the game, which was wild.  Now to look forward to Australia's chance to reach the final.

No comments: