Blog Archive

Monday, May 15, 2023

Octopath Traveler II beaten:

I beat all the main storyline and side stories and smashed the last boss like an egg.  Except there's a 'super last boss' on an island that I couldn't beat even after hours of trying.  That boss has two phases, and you can't use the four characters you use on the first phase in the second phase, so no matter how strong my 'primary' party is I'll still lose because the secondary party can't keep up.  I did beat the first phase of the boss for what that's worth.  My strongest characters are stronger than the boss, but my weakest characters are way weaker.

I imagine if I spent additional days grinding up my weaker party to be max level I could take on that super last boss again, but what's the point?  There's no additional story content to see that's worth that much of an investment.  Who wants to grind levels all day?

I think Castii had the best 'path' out of the eight heroes.  Then Hikari.  Then I guess Partitio and Agnea.  Oswald and Throne were okay.  Ochette's was too basic, and Temenos is too annoying.  But overall an excellent story with plenty of content, almost 100 hours of fun.  It's no Fire Emblem Engage which can draw you in for 1,000 hours of fun, but it's still a lot of fun.  Combined with the original, I rate the Octopath franchise #23 out of all games.  Definitely a must play franchise.  Now I can focus on listening to the music exclusively and see how much great music the game has to offer on top of its gameplay value.

I still have a vast reservoir of games I've already purchased but haven't had time to play, including Star Ocean the Divine Force which I'm halfway through already.  And I've already preordered Final Fantasy 16 which is coming out next month, so there's no worries on that front.  I can play new games for as long as I want, which means focusing on boring after-game content on already beaten games isn't an efficient use of my time.

No comments: