Blog Archive

Monday, January 15, 2018

Ero manga Sensei Rewatched:

Chapter 4 of volume 7 of Eromanga Sensei was adapted by the anime in episode 12, to my surprise.  They mixed various things up to make it easier and faster for anime viewers to understand, but the core of the story was the same.  This got me thinking back wistfully to the anime, so I decided to go ahead and rewatch all of it despite not having finished my rewatch of Kyoukai no Rinne.

Kyoukai no Rinne is a long series, so it might be a good idea to intersperse rewatches of other shows throughout the rewatching of Rinne just like this from here on.  I've got plenty of time, Rinne only finished a year ago, so I can watch things in whatever order I like.

Eromanga Sensei's best episode this time around was #8, not #11 like I expected.  Seeing Sagiri coming out of her room to talk with other people was a really emotional moment even without her wonderful voice acting to back the scene up.  The show really is top notch though, that hasn't changed.  The books are even funnier (and a lot more detailed), but obviously not as pretty, so you just have to watch the anime and read the books to get the full experience.

I made good on my promise to make my music hall of fame available to the world.  So far five people have taken advantage of the opportunity and gotten a complete copy of all the best music in the world.  Many others are nearing completion, so hopefully the two other seeds can take over that duty and help them to the finish line.

It's all the more vital that people appreciate the music hall of fame, because a good portion of it was just lost to us today -- Dolores Riordan, lead singer of the Cranberries, died, just 46 years old, of unknown causes.  It could have been suicide, drug overdose, aneurysm, heart attack, stroke, or maybe she fell over and hit her head.  I don't know.  It's just very sad.  She was my favorite musician back in the day, and still one of my favorites today.  So it goes.

The more I listen to my music the more I love it.  I'm sure I'll find some more remixes and bad songs along the way, we are talking 4,364 songs here, there's a lot of ruin in a list that big.  But overall, as I listen to this music, I'm just marveling at how uniquely great all my treasures are.  Most everyone is proving their worth day in and day out.

There's a lot of music by Motoi Sakuraba I could still track down, but I don't exactly want to drown out everyone else's voices by just deluging the playlist with Sakuraba songs.  If I do expand the playlist, it will have to be carefully and slowly, so that I can still listen to my old favorites as often as I want.  (Actually, I just did expand my music hall of fame by 3 songs to 4367, slowly and carefully including the openings of Rurouni Kenshin's 1st season and Serial Experiments Lain + Kenshin's theme song, old favorites I'd judged too harshly until now).  Motoi Sakuraba already has the plurality of music as is, how much more honor must he be given?

Instead of expanding the list yet further, the more important goal is listening to everyone at least 100 times.  I've already done that for Tales, Xenogears, Final Fantasy 1-12, Ogre Battle, Chrono Trigger and my old rock bands long ago, but there's a lot of new music I haven't heard as much that also needs to pass this test of time.  A lot of anime themes I've listened to hundreds of times already, but Valkyrie Profile and the like are still in their teens.

Listening to such a huge playlist 100 times will take years, but there's no rush.  Unlike the lead singer of Cranberries, I'm not planning on dying any time soon.  I'm just glad other people have taken the opportunity to fall in love with the same music I have.  They definitely won't regret it.  I turned years of individual effort to create a perfect music collection for myself into years of individual effort to create a perfect music collection for everyone else.  Pretty generous, huh?

No comments: