Blog Archive

Monday, August 7, 2017

#193 is Umineko:

I've decided to separate the Higurashi and Umineko franchises into two separate series.  Each will have their own place in my anime rankings and be addressed separately in my apples to apples rankings etc.

This is mainly because Higurashi has a satisfying ending but Umineko doesn't, so it's impossible to properly classify this series so long as you consider the two franchises one.  Does it have a satisfying ending or does it not?  It's like a freaking quantum superposition.  And the more I stress how important a satisfying ending is to an anime, the more Umineko was weighing Higurashi down by not having one.

Both series are good enough to deserve a ranking on their own, so I'm not worried about that.  But as to where their new positions should be separate from each other, I'll leave undisturbed until I rerank everything at once in one of my normal review sessions.

Which means for now Umineko can just sit at 193rd place without bothering anyone else, and Higurashi can keep its previous combined position of 14th.

Seven slots remain open for new aspiring anime series to fill.

No comments: