Blog Archive

Thursday, June 8, 2017

To Remix or not to Remix, That is the Question:

I've played through all my 1 star songs, deleting anything that offended me and replacing it with my huge reservoir of remixes which I'd previously deleted.

This preserved my 3,600 song list, with its five divisions of 700, 700, 700, 750, 750, and lengths of 1.4 days, 1.4 days, 1.4 days, 1.1 days, 1 day, but at the price of having to include 220 remixes, whether of vocal tracks or just instrumentals, out of those 3,600.  Actually, there are probably a few more remixes hidden in my playlists I never found, but it can't be that many more, so no big deal either way.

The question remains, do I disrupt my beautiful symmetry and hunt down and destroy all these remixes, or are remixes actually pretty nice to listen to and generally above the average of wholly new songs, so what's all the fuss?

I decided to split the difference and have the best of both worlds.  My 1-5 star lists will stay as they are, full of all sorts of remixes, at their current size and length.  But in addition to these, I will create a 0.5 list, which will include all my video game music from all of my lists, minus all remixes.  So every song on the .5 list will be unique.

So if I want to listen to music of a certain quality and type, damn the remixes, full speed ahead, I have my traditional 1-5 lists.  And if I just want to listen to as diverse a video game music list as possible for as long as possible, I'll listen to my .5 list.

The great remix debate can end here. If I'm in the mood for remixes, fine.  If I'm not in the mood for remixes, fine.  I can have my cake and eat it too.  Removing either option only harms me.  Some days I don't want to listen to the same tune twice, other days I'd be fine with listening to a beautiful rendition of a known good song whatever its version.  Now that I know the remixes are there and I've approved of them staying there, it's quite different from when I was stumbling across them left and right at the beginning wholly against my will.  I have made peace with the fact that there just plain aren't 3600 video game music songs on the level of Eyes on Me, and if I want the best possible playlist, I'm going to have to accept multiple variations of the better themes.

I shouldn't have to adjust anything any further on this matter, so this really should be the final form of my video game music project.  If the music weren't so beautiful, I wouldn't have spent so many years enthusiastically building towards this moment, or so many posts writing about its construction.  But since it is just that beautiful, if it encouraged people even a little to go try out the songs/games themselves, then all the time was well spent.

There is more good video game music than good all other music combined.  It's just that vital to get a good collection of video game music at your side.  My good anime music playlist, for instance, is just a tiny 527 songs long.  Video game music is the lion's share of music in general, so to create the perfect video game music playlist is to create the perfect auditory environment for your life.  It's just that central and vital.  Just as it's important to read all the best books, it's important to listen to all the best music, and this video game music playlist editing has finally allowed me to do that for the very first time.  Like all my other milestones, it feels like I've finally satisfied all the conditions of a well-lived life in just the past few weeks.

No comments: