Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Suka Suka is a Great Anime:

This was almost decided by the first episode's airing, actually, it was practically a done deal the moment Scarborough Fair started playing in the opening.  But there have been series with really strong first episodes that subsequently fell on their faces, even ones that became unwatchable shortly thereafter.  So I had to at least check out the second episode of a series I knew nothing about until the anime started airing to be sure -- but I'm sure now.  This is a great anime.  I have no idea just how good it is, since I know nothing about this show except what the first two episodes have shown.  But in any case it's great.  For now it can park in the 191st slot in my rankings, and at the end of the season I can give it something higher.

I also added Suka Suka's author to my good books rankings, as it was originally a light novel series.  It replaces Kiki's Delivery Service, whose author had less to do with making the movie great as just studio ghibli's magic.  This was an easy replacement, but the next great light novel author I have to kick aside will be a tougher decision.

I also added it to my wishlist, because I want more than just what a mere 12 episode season can provide.

What is Suka Suka?  It's the ridiculously long winded series -- 'ShÅ«matsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka?'

That's too long, so Suka Suka it is.

But aside from its naming sense, Suka Suka is something special.  I look forward to how things play out in the remainder of the spring season.  The show reminds me a lot of Unlimited Fafnir, except fantasy instead of sci fi.  And fairies instead of dragons.  But in any case, if your show reminds me of Fafnir, you're doing something right.

No comments: