Blog Archive

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Downsizing for the Future:

The future of anime is looking bright.  There's good news on virtually every front.  The problem is none of it has happened yet.

On the basis of Fairy Tail being resumed, I've moved the series back up to #5.

On the basis of Sword Art Online getting a second season, I've moved the series up to #6.  I promised to put it in the top ten if it got this next season and now I've done so.

To make room, a bunch of other series had to be moved around within the top 20 rankings.  The future is having a dramatic effect on this region of the map.  (Though of course, nothing can get even close to #1 Precure, which is about to get yet another awesome season in February.)

On the other side of the rankings, I've had to change my bottom shows as well.  Frankly, if a show isn't better than Gundam, it's not worth listing because you could always just watch more Gundam instead.  Therefore I've yet again moved every show I genuinely like ahead of Gundam and deleted the rest.  My goal is to always have Gundam at the bottom of the rankings, as the floor of mediocrity that no anime viewer should bother passing beneath until they've hit everything above.  This applies to Gunbuster, Saint Tail, Howl's Moving Castle, Trigun, Daa Daa Daa and Futakoi.  Call it spring cleaning if you will, but in any event they're all gone from the rankings, which now stops at the unnatural number of 154.

Five of the next six shows to be ranked are pretty obvious and virtually guaranteed to be good, but they haven't aired yet so I can't officially include them.  These slots are saved for Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, No Game No Life, Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai, Grisaia no Kaijutsu, and Mekaku City Actors.  Once these series all get their anime releases, they'll add real value to the anime world.  Until then, I suppose I'll just add whatever random shows catch my eye, with the proviso that they at least have to be better than Gundam.  My goal is to present an attractive lineup of anime series for all, not a torture chamber.  :).

The winter season is starting soon, and I'll be listing my first impressions as the new shows arrive, but don't expect much good news.  Buddy Complex has already aired and it was, as expected, total garbage.  That's going to be my review of virtually everything this time around.  It's not the winter season, but the spring season I'm looking forward to.

No comments: