Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Verknokamianske didn't fall after all:

Obviously I don't have a magic eye that can scry out the actual locations of troops in Ukraine, I can only report what I hear, and the Russian ministry of defense did announce they'd taken this city.  But it turns out they were lying and/or mistaken.  The city is so unpronounceable maybe they were trying to talk about another town and bit their tongues.  >.<.

So there's no Siversk offensive, everything is the same as it has been for a year.  The only small progress Russia is making is in Toretsk.  On the bright side there's another unconfirmed rumor that Ukraine's armed forces have taken 1.8 million casualties, with maybe 750k of those being killed in action.  With casualties like that it's hard to believe Ukraine can fight much longer.

Russia isn't the only one making slow progress on their projects.  I'm only on Chapter 24 of my 46th re-read and re-edit of '100 Waifus.'  I've found plenty of things to edit, but it's mainly single word substitutions -- a continuation of world wars 'just,' 'even,' and ','.  Either I replace the offending terms with more varied words or delete them without replacing them because there was no reason for them to be there at all.  Once I replaced an 'all' with a 'the' in an exciting change of pace.

Every edit is vital to the overall quality of the work, this will definitely improve the flow of the story for first time readers, but it doesn't do much for me, a 46th time reader.  All I wanted to do was read the book without having to stop and edit all the time, and I missed out on that chance by Chapter 4.  From there on I knew it was going to be a slog.

The Kindle edition of the new Red Wheel book has received multiple delays, all the way to October 22nd, so I can keep reading and editing '100 Waifus' while I wait.  There's no deadline so the reread will take however long it takes.  I'd like to finish editing the book this year but there's still plenty of time to reach that standard.  I'm pretty sure this 46th edition will be the final edits, because the edits I am catching are all so minor and nitpicky.  It's not like I'm adding whole new sections of dialogue or anything, none of the content is being affected.  If this is all I can find wrong with the book then clearly there's nothing wrong with the book and my work is done.

Next time, when I get my 47th edition in paperback, I'll be able to relax and just read the story like I've always dreamed.

Meanwhile I rewatched season 7 of Hero Academia, fulfilling another great anime rewatch promise.  I also rewatched Hibike! Euphonium season 3, though maybe I've mentioned that already.  My work on the music hall of fame continues apace.  I've screened 4600 songs out of 5500.  Once I'm done I'll flip a lot of songs a tier up or down and eliminate some 1-stars that don't deserve to be here.  As you can see, it isn't just Russia that's bogged down in giant difficult tasks.

The starship booster making a chopstick landing was amazing.

Trump is up in the polls and betting markets.  My longstanding prediction Trump would win is looking pretty good right now.  Basically the only possible way he could lose now is vote fraud.

Biden admits Israel is attempting to genocide the Gaza Strip through starvation, but inscrutably has decided Israel should stop doing that 'within 30 days,' not, like, 'right now.'  Because genocide is only bad if it continues for 30 days. . .

No comments: