Blog Archive

Monday, July 1, 2024

Go figure, Sokushi Cheat is also a great light novel series:

It would be weird if the source work of a great anime wasn't itself great.  Now that I've read the first three volumes of the story that follows after the anime, I'm confident in saying Sokushi Cheat is a book series worthy of my hall of fame as well.  So far I've cared more about the characters in Konosuba than Sokushi, so I upgraded both of them to a little higher ranking than before and cut a meaningless American author to make room.

I still have plenty of Sokushi to read, with books 8-14 left to go.  Sokushi Cheat has three things going for it -- humor, interesting fight mechanics, and the beautiful illustrations of Tomochika.  She's so beautiful that she's featured on every single cover of the series.  (that's a higher ratio than even Louise managed).  Having access to so many hall of fame worthy books in a row has been pretty nice, first Konosuba and now Sokushi have been brilliant successes.

Meanwhile, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Trump so I suspect all his trials will be dropped soon enough.  Biden is so doomed.

I flipped Bastorius overworld and Elheim overworld to 4-star in my music hall of fame, since I kept being overjoyed every time they randomly started playing, which proves they deserve to play more often.  Unicorn Overlord is the gift that keeps on giving.

Reasonably speaking it would take 2.4 hours per Kimetsu no Yaiba movie to cover the remainder of the manga, so I suspect they plan on making a 4th movie solely for the fight with Muzan after the infinity castle arc trilogy is done.  This means Kimetsu is going to be with us even longer into the future.  At minimum until 2027, but I could see it dragging on to 2030 or something.

The latest summer season anime to debut was another failure.  Ossan Newbie Adventurer, about a 30 year old being trained beyond the normal limits of power in his world but comically not realizing this, an overused plot device that certainly isn't funny when relying on an old muscle-bound man.  It doesn't even seem worthwhile to write up a Summer Anime First Impressions post when all the anime is so bad.  At least two days from now there will definitely be good summer anime -- Oshi no Ko and Alya Sometimes speaks in Russian.

No comments: