Blog Archive

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Kasumi > Elfman, Uriko > Cana:

Elfman is included in '100 Waifus' because he's Mirajane and Lisanna's brother, not on merit.  Likewise Cana is included because she's Lucy's friend, not on merit.  Elfman is too simpleminded and overgrown looking to take seriously, whereas Cana is a drunk and a slut who I can hardly approve of no matter how good looking she is or how good her voice actress is.

In their place I can add Kasumi from Dead or Alive and Uriko from Bloody Roar.  (Fighting games are getting their day in the sun recently.)  Kasumi is gorgeous and has a cool fighting style, but what puts her over the top is the good characterization she received in the movie, where she was the protagonist.  I learned about who she actually is and liked her throughout that movie.  The only reason she hadn't been included before is I already had two Kasumi's in the story and didn't want a third confusing people.

Uriko I've mentioned many times before, but she's an extremely cute girl from Bloody Roar, and has quite an effective and fun fighting style.  Her quick, smooth combos that derive from Chinese martial arts are nigh unstoppable if you play her right.  After Kenji I enjoyed playing her the most, and now that Kenji is included it's only fair that she is too.

I've wanted to include all these characters in my fictional character hall of fame for a long time now, but the needs of the plot never allowed them.  They'd always get shouldered out for some reason or other.  But now that there's no plot getting in the way I've found a way to include every prospect who was denied or kicked out in the past.  All the worthy are in, and without having to expand my hall of fame by a single name.  Splitting the hall of fame from the book has been such a rewarding decision.

I'm now up to Chapter 37 of my '100 Waifus' reread and still no need for edits.  Now that I can change my fictional character hall of fame without changing my book it looks like this 41st edition really can be the last.

No comments: