Blog Archive

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Kimetsu no Yaiba S2, Spy x Family, Selection Project and Kanojo mo Kanojo rewatched:

None of these series had blu-ray releases yet, so I would have preferred not to watch them until later, but with nothing better to do it was their time to shine.  Also it's been a year since Selection Project aired and there's still no blu-ray, so there's no point waiting and hoping for something that isn't going to happen.

All four series were great, proving my initial assessment of them.  They made me laugh and cry, depending on whether they were comedies or dramas, just like the first time around.  I was able to rewatch them in marathon sessions because they were gripping from start to finish.  That's the mark of a great series, that you can rewatch it and enjoy the rewatch almost as much as the first time.

I don't dislike Milika in Kanojo mo Kanojo, but she does take up an inordinate amount of time in this season.  A hypothetical second season of this show would have been better because it would have had less Milika and more Shino.  Oh well, so it goes.

I dislike the heart attack/heart transplant stuff in Selection Project, and enjoyed the more pure and straightforward aspect of trying to succeed on this reality show and become a star.  But that was most of the story and it was enough to carry the anime from start to finish.  Plus the music is really good in this show.

My rewatching and liking Spy x Family and Kimetsu no Yaiba Season 2 shouldn't be required to convince anyone these series are great.  They're the most popular series in the world right now.  But what it does confirm is that my tastes are exactly in line with what's actually good in this world.  I like the things that deserve to be liked, which is why they usually are liked by the general public.

I've now rewatched everything that's aired prior to January 1st 2022 save Magia Record Season 2.  It also lacks a blu-ray release, but I guess it can't be helped, I'll have to rewatch it as-is like these other shows.  Since I'm supposed to have three years of leeway for shows that aren't out in blu-ray, I'm well ahead of schedule in fulfilling my 'all great anime must be rewatched to prove it's great' oath.

The third book of Silver Ruins, Black Moon has been fully translated and read.  One more to go and 12 Kingdoms will be a completed tale.  I'm guessing that will happen in 2023 since the translation speed is of the 'slow and steady' variety.

No comments: