Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

23rd re-read underway:

I'm 3/5 of the way through my 23rd re-read and re-edit of '100 Waifus.'  You would think no more edits would be necessary after 22 previous proofreads but nope, there were still some minor clerical and grammatical errors in need of correction.

The most boneheaded plot hole receiving correction was Christopher reserving Sophie and Cheria for a threesome and then forgetting about that entirely and narrating a rendezvous with Sophie alone.  Now the reservation for a threesome matches an actual described threesome with Kobeni and Orihime, while Sophie is allowed to have her single date as the story actually recounts.  I can't believe I missed that 22 times in a row.  *sigh*  At least it's fixed now.  This correction on its own more than justifies my 23rd read through.  How embarrassing if I had let the non-sequitur remain that way forever.

There will probably be some more mistakes in need of correction in the remaining 2 parts, but who knows until I'm done.  What I do know is that the new child name changes fit in smooth as butter.  You would think they had been there from the beginning instead of just installed a couple weeks ago.  Partially this re-read was to check out the new names and see if they worked, and the answer is brilliantly.

Thanks to getting rid of the real life composers, all the child names flow with no jarring standouts.  This is the best the fictional character hall of fame and the book's ever been.

There's nothing more productive than improving the best book ever written, but I'm also sneaking in another project at the same time.  So long as I'm reading I can listen to music, and I have a lot of music I'm supposed to be listening to.  To truly earn a place in my music hall of fame, you have to be listened to 100 times and liked all 100 times.  3750 of my songs haven't reached that benchmark, their median playcount is still at 64.  If I listened to them non-stop I could get that number up to 100 in a year, but non-stop is obviously impossible.  Even so, every time I re-read '100 Waifus' I get a lot of music listening done and bring that dream a bit closer to fruition.

Some of the songs are so beautiful that even though I've already heard them a median 64 times (and that's only counting during this project, if you count all the times I listened to them before the project began the number would be even higher), the moment they come on I'm paralyzed and have to close my eyes so I can concentrate solely on the tune.  The worst is when multiple such masterpieces are randomly played in a row, the emotions can be overwhelming.  I don't think there's anything more pleasant in life than a cascade of different yet equally perfect songs.  It strikes the heart like a waterfall.

Anime is usually top-ranking if you can drag yourself into watching it even twice.  What does that say of music that can be enjoyed 100 or even 1,000 times?  (Yes, I've listened to some songs over a thousand times. . .and liked them every time. . .they're just that good.)  Music may actually be the pinnacle of perfection.  Heaven is a well-sorted itunes playlist.

Meanwhile, Jest Right by Piers Anthony came out today -- but I need to finish editing my own book before I worry about anyone else's.

No comments: