Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Tearmoon Empire:

This is a humorous take on what would have happened if the French royal family had better served the people and whether, with the power of prophetic foresight, they could have avoided the French Revolution and the guillotine entirely.

Obviously it's all dressed up in a slightly different fantasy world so it doesn't have to abide by any historical events, but you get the idea.

The point is it's hilarious and Mia is very pretty so it all works out.  This is a new manga worth following, though like usual it wasn't originally a manga but a web novel.

I downloaded the soundtrack to Inazuma 11: Ares no Tenbin.  I started with 37 songs I thought weren't bad, and then I slowly deleted them one by one as I tired of them or thought they were remixes.  Eventually I was down to just two songs and then I decided it was hopeless and deleted them all.  For some reason, despite being music by Yasunori Mitsuda, and sounding very similar to other songs I liked by Yasunori Mitsuda, none of the songs appealed to me in the long run.  They were just missing something.  I'm guessing an emotional core, a reason to care about what's going on.

In truth I'm already overwhelmed by the size of my current music hall of fame and the daunting 100 listens requirement, so adding in yet more subpar music and bogging things down even further wasn't very appealing.  Unless your song is fantastic I'm going to resist entry.  I'd been looking forward to Ares no Tenbin for a long time, virtually all the other Inazuma 11 soundtracks found a place in my heart and my music hall of fame, but I dunno.  This time it fell flat.  Maybe Mitsuda phoned this game in and didn't really try hard enough.  Or maybe I'm so overflowing with songs by him that there's no value added in adding any more.

Instead of these new songs, I'd be better off listening to his old ones again.  Their tunes are stunningly evocative and unique, they demand your total attention and obeisance.  Often with fewer instruments and at a lower tempo, they somehow say more anyway.  That's the Yasunori Mitsuda I love.

The Kimetsu no Yaiba manga is drawn terribly.  Little better than blobs and stick figures.  I see now why the manga didn't become popular until after the anime came out.  The anime looks 1000 times better than the manga.  I'm sure the plot itself is golden, but manga is meant to be visually appealing, not just blocks of good text.  That's what novels are for.  The manga-ka should switch to writing novels if he's going to draw so poorly.  Or hire someone else who knows how to draw to draw for him. . .  Anyway, I'm going to hold out in hopes that the series is fully animated because then I'll get to see the story at a high visual quality instead of a low visual quality.  It's so popular this should be a monetary no-brainer.  Surely the anime continuation will be announced sooner or later.

No comments: