Blog Archive

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Outbreak Company volume 10 available:

Right now it can be purchased at amazon, but a nyaa version is sure to follow eventually.

I'm always looking for ways to improve 100 Waifus, so lately I've added in a few edits.  'Natts' was renamed 'Nuts,' to more perfectly align with the intended pun, 'Coco + Nuts = Coconuts.' from Yes Precure 5.  Eiko is pronounced the same as Ako, so I added that to the list of same-names by sound near the end of the book.  That left me with only 790 characters with unique sounding names out of the 1106 listed.

690 of the songs in my music hall of fame have reached the 60 listen-through threshold while still not reaching the 100 listen-through threshold.  I'm going to concentrate on these songs for the nonce and see if I can't graduate some more songs to eternal glory this way.

I've added 90 songs net since the start of the new year.  It isn't as big as the +1,000 haul of last year but it's still pretty sizable.  If I want to reduce the size of my task I need to graduate as many songs past the 100 listen threshold as I add.  Otherwise I'll never make it to the finish line.

I'm re-reading the Berserk manga.  The art is indeed grand, but I've changed my mind about the anime.  You don't need top quality art to animate Berserk.  Even the cg seasons did the job of telling the story well enough.  There isn't much value added, going back to read the manga, of scenes that were already covered by the anime.  The real problem with the anime is the amount of stuff they cut or changed.  If we could just fix that the anime could stand on its own two feet.  As such, I added the wish for said fixes back into my anime wishlist, at the expense of kicking Da Capo 4 out.

The unanimated portions of the manga, like the story about the fake fairy queen, are still stupendous to read, but the animated portions are quite the drag.  I'm always thinking, "Yes yes I've already seen this."  Even high quality art can't elevate a manga above an anime, it's like a welterweight going up against a heavyweight.  It doesn't matter how much skill a manga-ka brings to a fight with an anime, anime is just out of manga's league.

It took 7 years to reach 200 seiyuu in my anime voices hall of fame.  One year after I made it to 200 top ranked anime, I now have 200 top ranked anime voice actors.  The anime and the voices elevate each other, neither would have gone far alone, so keeping the honor rolls symmetrical was also important.

Apparently the PS5 can even support 8k tv's, but I suspect it's designed with people owning 4k tv's in mind.  The graphics will look best at the 4k sweet spot in terms of resolution + framerate.

No comments: