Blog Archive

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Index GT 10 read:

The book was fully translated so I got to finish reading it.  It was another nonsensical non-stop battle with all-powerful mages that somehow still lose to Touma's fist.  Like the 40 volumes before it.  The only thing that was different this time is it kept guaranteeing that Touma would die, and then he really did die.  But I knew it wasn't real, because the series still has too many loose ends, too many unresolved plot threads, to suddenly kill off the main character and end the story.  Plot armor is the most powerful armor in the world.  And sure enough, after he died a magician told him he could be resurrected from the dead so all was well.  I wish authors would stop doping their stories with artificial drama when we all know they'll never go through with it and don't have the guts.  Fake news.

As far as Index books go it was about average, I don't want to be too critical, at least it resolved a long story arc and gives us the chance to focus on something new for next book.

I also defeated Unicorn Overlord for the third time, this time without losing a single unit across the entire game.  Galerius was tough as usual, but a combination of my gryphon unit and mage unit was enough to take him down.  Stun, burn and poison are the most effective weapons against him, and those units happened to already have said tools on hand.  Yet again I managed to win without fiddling with my perfectly organized and equipped units, which makes me happy.  My standing army won't lose to anyone.

One sad thing about any large or expansive stages is battle power matters less than mobility.  If you can get to your objective quickly matters more than your ability to win fights, so my cavalry and flyers handled almost everything.  As well as my werefoxes who move quickly at night.  This meant that my meticulously designed units who travel by foot were basically left out of the whole last battle, because they couldn't reach any destination on time.  They did contribute a little, but not nearly as much as the more mobile troops.  It felt pitiful to see so many strong people languish away futilely.

There's still an epilogue stage but it's actually easier than this ending battle so it's not an issue.  However, a new patch to the game installed a new, tougher boss, a sort of wandering monster Amalia you can duel.  That might actually be impossible for me to overcome.  I already got the platinum trophy for the original game so I sort of don't consider this Amalia fight canon.  I can just ignore it if I want.  But who knows, maybe my 5 werefox unit can handle it.

No comments: