Blog Archive

Monday, September 18, 2023

Aquamarine > Seita:

Because I can't count large numbers, I thought my fictional character hall of fame was at a nice even 300 when in fact it was still at 301 mentioned franchises.  I had to shave down a franchise while adding a character to an existing franchise to make things right, and the two names that came to mind were Seita and Aquamarine.

Seita is a rather unexceptional boy who only managed to have a sad life, fail to take care of his sister, and then die.  I suppose there were good qualities to him but none of them amounted to anything in the face of bombed out Japan.

Compared to Seita, Aqua has already achieved a lot more with his life.  He's saved a girl from suicide, given lots of people better career trajectories, starred in movies and tv shows himself, cheered up his mother, and that's all in one season of Oshi no Ko.  With more seasons to come I'm sure Aqua will do all sorts of additional cool activities, and maybe someday he'll even bring his mom's killer to justice.  He's also quite handsome with that giant star in his eye.  It's true that Aqua is cynical and duplicitous, two traits I can't get behind, but he gets things done and that's ultimately what matters, the ends, not the means.

Aqua clearly beats Seita, but does he beat Seita so badly that Grave of the Fireflies no longer deserves a mention?  The answer is yes.  Grave of the Fireflies is no longer necessary as an artistic franchise because we have 'In This Corner of the World' now.  Another recounting of the horrors of U.S. bombing and unrestricted targeting of civilians in Japan.  You don't really need two franchises discussing the same matter, a single one will get the message across fine, and Corner is the superior of the two works.  It has more sympathetic characters to whom the Americans are abusing, and a fuller representation of what life was like in Japan at the time, it wasn't as absolutely hopeless as Grave of the Fireflies depicts, there were lights of humor and joy people could find even in those times, even after Hiroshima.

So with 'In This Corner of the World' replacing Fireflies, and Aquamarine replacing Seita, nothing is really lost, and as a bonus I get to have my even round number of 300.  Everyone's happy.

All my ranked anime deserve a mention in my fictional character hall of fame, but Grave of the Fireflies isn't a ranked anime, it's a ranked movie, and not all my ranked movies have representatives, so I'm still following the rules.

No comments: