Blog Archive

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Women's World Cup 2023:

The World Cup has begun and already there's been two entertaining close games featuring lots of blonde girls with ponytails.  The host nations, New Zealand and Australia, both won, which is great for the atmosphere of the World Cup moving forward.

I'm watching on Peacock for the low price of $6, with the Spanish voices muted and my ultimate music hall of fame playing as accompaniment.  It's a good thing I invested so much time into making such a good music playlist because as you can see it's useful everywhere.

Recently I flipped sixteen more songs from 4-star to 5-star -- On my Sheep from Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai, Rydia from FF 4, Cupid Review by Aoi Yuuki, Rafiiru Ai no Teema from Seikai no Monshou, The Brightlands and Toto'haha Island from Octopath Traveler II, Autumnal Sky from Ogre Battle, Jellyfish by Mami Kawada, Sore ga Seiyuu's opening, Decent Black and Fast Love from Bakemonogatari, 'Anytime, Anywhere' by Sarah Brightman, Brian Boru's March by Loreena McKennitt, and three songs from Xenoblade 3 'Chain Attack,' 'Urayan Tunnels' and 'Elaice Highway.'  As time goes by my love of all things Xenoblade 3 only grows.  The same is true of Mami Kawada, such a great voice for such a short career.

To make room I demoted a bunch of video game instrumentals by Hitoshi Sakamoto and Nobuo Uematsu, no real harm done.  There have also been some song ratings changes in the lower tiers but they aren't as important.  Of course all the details have been kept up to date in my music permapost.

My Sword of Truth reread proceeds apace.  I liked the story of Nicci being seduced to the light side by Richard in Faith of the Fallen, but Pillars of Creation was awful.  It didn't have a single chapter from Richard or Kahlan's perspective, instead wasting our time with a crazed lecherous serial killer.  Now I'm on to Naked Empire which is back to being about Richard and thus much improved.

The three new segments I wrote for '100 Waifus' since writing Chapter 59 add up to 2,003 new words.  The average chapter in the book is 3300 words long, and a lot of those words are just lists of names, so this is basically as good as a new chapter.  When put that way it's a big deal.  Which would mean I've added three new chapters worth of material to '100 Waifus' this year, the most productive year of writing I've had since I finished the book in the first place.  I've read over the new portions multiple times and they don't fall behind the original book, they're completely valid additions.  It was already the best book ever, but now that Orihime and Nadeko have gotten their chance to shine it's even better.

Someday, if they ever translate the Akaneiro and Kud Wafter visual novels, maybe I could learn more about Yuuhi and Kudryavka, and thus write more about them, but aside from those two I feel like I've done a pretty good job covering all the waifus.  Of course some girls have more major roles than others, but what's important is conveying the love Christopher feels for each of them, and the love each of them feels for Christopher.  If that's accomplished there's no need to belabor their relationship further.

Once I finish rereading Sword of Truth I'll definitely read this new and improved version of '100 Waifus' again.  If it doesn't require any more edits I could give it a stamp of final approval on my 37th try. . .

No comments: