Blog Archive

Monday, October 7, 2019

Fall 2019 Anime First Impressions: Part 1

Haatage! Kemono Michi:  Apparently an anime about bestiality.  Raping animals isn't funny even when portrayed as a comedy.  Fail.

Shinchou Yuusha:  There were some humorous aspects to this show, but it was outweighed by the annoying ones.  The Goddess depicted isn't an attractive woman.  More importantly, the guy depicted is hopelessly self-centered.  He cares so much about his own safety that he disregards the well-being and feelings of others.  I can't stand his priorities, or all the time wasted in the show trying to convince him to do something useful every once in a while.  It's like trying to compile with broken code.  Fail.

Honzuki no Gekokujou:  This was a guaranteed great anime before I watched the first episode.  The original light novel and the manga adaption were so obviously good that all the anime had to do was faithfully animate the source work.  I'm pleased to see that the first episode did so, meaning all lights are now green.  The story of the book loving girl who defies all the odds is an instant classic.  It immediately enters my top anime rankings.  Pass.

Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo:  This story has a cute initial twist, wherein two pretty girls act in predictably manipulative manners to screw over a boy, but at least the boy doesn't take it lying down.  He has a plan to get the best of them in the end.  Unfortunately, there's also some third girl who isn't pretty trying to snag him into some sort of true love story or other which I'm totally uninterested in.  I just want to see him screw over the devil women, who cares about love?  Well, it was fine as far as first episodes go.  We'll just have to see what happens from here.  Pass.

Houkago Saikoro Club:  I'm torn.  I love board games, but the 'cute girls do cute things' formula doesn't really work if the girls aren't cute.  They all came across as just annoying.  The randomly blue-haired girl is way too timid for a grown woman, the iinchou rejects her own homeland, and the Isara-look-alike girl is way too pushy.  I don't see much point in 'annoying girls do cute things.'  Fail.

Choyoyu:  I've already been following the manga of this story which deeply resonated with me, but the art style of the anime adaption is even better.  I was thrilled to see the world come to life in color and sound.  As a first episode I was completely blown away.  Not only does this pass, it immediately enters my top anime rankings.  Pass.

Azur Lane:  Only in anime.  Ship-girls re-fight World War II with an alien invasion mixed in.  Of course there are hundreds of different cute ship girls so they all have to have exaggerated personalities to establish their kousei, which makes them all come off as insane retards.  I feel like this series has already been done multiple times before and it's never, ever a good idea.  Fail.

Null Peta:  This is an anime short that thinks casual violence is somehow funny.  It's not.  Fail.

I Said to Make my Abilities Average!:  This is probably a great anime.  It was hilarious from the very start, very pretty and very cute.  My only worry is with the protagonist being so overpowered, nothing interesting will happen throughout the series.  I don't mind comedies without anything else going for them, but it's hard to be funny for twelve whole episodes too.  A great first episode poking fun at isekai tropes, but let's see how it does from here.  Pass.

Phantasy Star Online 2:  I hate the art style of this show, there were way too many characters for a first episode, the characterization was bland and overly simplistic, and the plot looks like mindless violence personified.  Talk about a wasted budget.  Fail.

That will do for the first half of the new shows.  The remaining new series can be given their own block of first impressions in part 2.  I said the fall season was going to be great and that has now been vindicated.

No comments: