Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Overlord, Danchigai, Prison School, Gakkou Gurashi Dropped:

I don't hate these shows, but there comes a time when enough is enough.  I get the schtick of these stories and they'll always be mediocre no matter how long I watch them.  After seeing things this far, I get all of their recurring jokes and plotlines and I just don't think they'll be going anywhere.  It's like they're so predictable that I've already watched the entire show by now, so there's no need to rewatch it by watching it for the first time.

In Overlord, the main character is too strong to make the story compelling.  He can even reprogram npc's to love him, gaining the world's greatest treasure through forcible rape.  It's just lame.

Prison School is funny, but it's a raunchy, dirty humor that relies on toilet jokes and sex jokes and endless crudity.  For the sake of keeping a clean mind and clean spirit, it's best to avoid sewers like these even when the jokes and camera angles are done well.

Gakkou Gurashi lacks the seriousness necessary to fall into the zombie apocalypse genre it's pretending to be.  It's like Mouretsu Pirates, which promised to be about piracy but was actually about space tourism and theme park attractions.  Trying to blend completely dissimilar elements into a single package just results in an explosion, not a synthesis.

Danchigai just has lots of 'playtime with my sexy sisters' innuendos and nothing more.  Everything is amped up to comic extremes and there is no attempt at believability or resonance with people's actual lives and the real world.  It's basically pimping out its characters as sexual fantasies and nothing more.  I guess this would be okay if it were an actual hentai show, but teasing at it while never delivering on the promise is even worse, because it's not even sexually satisfying this way, so it has nothing left in its quiver to offer.

In addition, Charlotte is dropped from my rankings.  It can always earn its place back later by becoming better, but right now it's a joke to be ranked.  There are tons of other shows I like more than Charlotte that aren't in my rankings and its an insult to them so long as Charlotte is ranked.

Joukamachi no Dandelion, on the other hand, has really impressed me.  It's been bounced up to #89 in my rankings.  How do I explain why this show is so much better than other comedies like Lucky Star or Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun?  It's because of the human warmth these characters share for each other, both inside the family and their friends outside the family.  It isn't a cynical humor show where people are basically bad and their foibles humorously hurt each other back and forth.  Of course, a show like that can be great too, like in Galaxy Angel.  But it's refreshing to see such a kind hearted show still be this uproariously funny in a completely original and dynamic way.  The big family is such a plus because it's simply never been done before by any other show.  The royal election is a great concept too, it shows there are tons of ways government can be set up, effectively, without democracy.  I don't like democracy and alternatives like these are good food for thought.  Every single aspect of Joukamachi no Dandelion is original and innovative, and it all comes together into a package that goes beyond just romance or just comedy, but into the sublime territory of just an all around good show.

Sore ga Seiyuu also gets an upgrade in the rankings, to #155.  I don't see it as being better than Hibike! Euphonium, but certainly it can beat the likes of Fatal Fury with its brand of humor.

With all that sorted out, my watch list is down to 23 shows.  It could just keep on shrinking, it depends on these series' ability to keep me guessing and keep changing from ep to ep.  Once I've 'seen the ending' I'm no longer interested, it's the continuous new developments that keep a story alive, so I need to keep seeing those new developments in shows like Rokka no Yuusha, Wakaba Girl, Kuusen Madoshi and Jitsu wa Watashi wa.  They all run the risk of turning into repeat jokes that don't go anywhere.  Ranpo Kitan runs the risk of turning into boring murder mysteries that just cycle from one case to another with nothing to say about the characters doing the investigating.  Only Classroom Crisis and Gate have truly earned their place in my watchlist to the point that I can't imagine dropping them sometime down the road.  We'll just have to wait and see how things develop week to week.

No comments: