Blog Archive

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Misc. Updates:

Now that my spring first impressions are done, I can mention a few other interesting subjects that have come up in the meantime.

First off, I've added three new series to my top anime list:  No Game No Life, Gokukoku no Brynhildr and Atelier Escha & Logy.  Even with just one or two episodes, I'm convinced they'll continue to be great from here on.  Plenty of additional spring shows could also end up in my top anime rankings, but I'm not sure about any of the remaining series yet.  I also added these shows to my top rankings + voices list -- it turns out No Game No Life has a stellar voice cast on top of its great plot and gorgeous art.

Idolm@ster is getting a new season of anime in 2015, this time following the careers of various Cinderalla Girls.  It looks just as good as the original series, so I'm absolutely fine with this change in direction.  Idolm@ster and Love Live continue to strive to outdo each other it seems.

Macross is getting a new television series.  Let's hope it's as good as Frontier was.  Macross has pretty much always been better than its previous iteration, ever since it started in 1982.

The World God Only Knows manga ends this week.  It was a fun ride, and much better than the massively cut and edited version the anime presented.  Even so, I'll always love the anime for adding color, motion, voice acting and music to this epically great manga series.

There's a rumor that Tales of Hearts R is getting a localized English release.  Let's hope that's true.  The Tales of Symphonia HD collection was underwhelming, but then again what can you expect from a game that's ten years old?  Hearts, Vesperia, Xillia 2 and the upcoming Zestiria will all surely be much better, so the more English localizations the merrier.

The Anohana movie didn't do anything to improve the series, but it was a nice trip down memory lane.

The 3rd Madoka movie was just plain awful.  It would have been better if it had never been made.  I refuse to accept anything that happened in it as canon.

The Beserk manga is finally resuming from its hiatus.  Let's hope it actually makes some progress this time.

I've also added four new voices to my top anime voices list.  The new stars are Rina Satou, Masakazu Morita, Ryusei Nakao and Nobuhiko Okamoto.  Their main roles, respectively, are Mikoto Misaka from Railgun, Ichigo from Bleach, Freeza from Dragonball and Accelerator from Index.

Now that I've seen the second episode, it turns out Kanojo ga Flag is an awful series.  It really jumped the shark this ep, and it simply totally left me behind.  It doesn't look like I'll be able to reach a full top 160 rankings at this rate after all.  Hopefully Hitsugi no Chaika, Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii and Mekaku City Actors really takes off from here, because I've pretty much lost hope in the others ever being truly great shows.  If all three impress me though, I could finally get up to the number of series I'm supposed to have, and a round number besides.  If not, there's always the summer and fall seasons.

No comments: