Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Uchi no Musume anime green-lit:

I started by reading the manga, and when that ran out I read the light novels -- now it's getting an anime.  It appears I'm going to hit an Uchi no Musume trifecta of entertainment mediums.

I predict this will be a very good anime -- if it restricts itself to the early novels by staying 1 cour in length there's plenty of good content to cover and nothing to spoil the fun.  Latina will stay young throughout, mark my words.

Unfortunately, having read all the way to the end, I know it's not a great story, so it isn't a candidate for my great anime rankings.  I could really use some of those, seeing as how even Akira is in my rankings now.

Are there just no new good franchises out there?  Is Uchi no Musume really the best they could come up with?

At the very least I'd like 20 new great anime franchises to appear, so that I can replace all the series in my rankings that are plagued by filler or are just short oav's.  But until actual good series come along that can actually supplant these flawed title holders, there's nothing I can do.  It used to be that 12 or so great new series would enter my pantheon every year.  Last year it was 2.  This year it's 0.  At this rate I'll never upgrade my rankings again.

Even more ridiculous is the fact that I'm hundreds of anime episodes below 9,000 again, even though I originally reached that landmark years ago.  There's less great anime now than there used to be, even though the march of time should be ever forward.

Uchi no Musume is nice, but it isn't enough to reverse these trends.  We need some big guns entering the picture.  Like Harmonia, Konozora, Osananajimi wa Daitouryou, Lazy Dungeon Master, or Edens Zero. . .

When will something important be announced?

Meanwhile, I'm reading yet another isekai manga -- Tensei Kyuuketsuki-san.  A random schmo guy dies in his sleep and is reborn as an overpowered cute loli vampire girl.  She then goes around defeating all comers and healing all injuries in typical overpowered fashion.  I guess the art alone is the draw, because the loli vampire is just too attractive to ignore, even with the plot like this.

Like usual, I much prefer my own isekai story, but I've already read it three times in the space of a week, so. . .loli vampires it is.

I beat the story mode for Soul Calibur VI.  The graphics are excellent, and it looks like the characters maintained their movesets from the earlier games making it easy to pick them back up.  Fighters are the sort of game you can play forever without ever really 'winning' them, but I figure once I've completed all the individual character arcs I can safely move along to Valkyria Chronicles IV.  In college I was one of the best Anji Mito players for Guilty Gear XX in the world, but those days are long behind me, I'd be destroyed if I tried my hand at vs. play these days.  I just wanted to experience Soul Calibur in a safe and nostalgic manner after so many years apart, not climb up some competitive ladder.

No comments: